Monday, March 03, 2008

A shameful confession

Have I ever told you about my love/hate relationship with Tom Jones?

[Pretend there's a photo of Tom here.]

I don't understand why people think he's so hot. I think he's repulsive. The man actually turns my stomach. I can't stand looking at photos of him. If I had a choice between standing next to Tom Jones or a rattlesnake, I'd think my options through carefully before deciding.

But some of his music is enjoyable and gets in your head and Just. Won't. Leave. I won't actually buy a CD because that would involve having liner notes with his nasty face on it, but I do love it when I hear "What's New Pussy Cat" or "She's a Lady" in a movie.

(It just only now occurred to me that I could download some songs from iTunes.)

(Hmmm... I'll be back in a few minutes.)

Okay, it appears that iTunes downloads include a photo of the musician. Even though my iPod screen is only two inches wide, I'm going to have to think about this. I wouldn't want Tom's ugly mug breaking my stride when I'm on my walk.

So if you feel like starting your week off with some campy 1960s and 1970s tunes, click here, here, and here. I'll be over here doing the same -- with the speakers on and the computer screen off.

14 comments:

Aims said...

Funny you should say that...after hearing 25,000 people in my hometown roaring MYYYYYY MYYYYY MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY DELILAH, I'll never think of him in the same way again. Luckily I was a) too far from the stage and b) much, much too drunk to be able to see him.
Here's a lovely article about Tom's latest gig:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10495605

Sue said...

Ick, Tom Jones. I share the revulsion, but I don't like the music either. So cheesetastic. Bleck.

barbra said...

I found this completely hilarious. Maybe it's because we just got home from dinner with friends (and all the kids) and I am a lightweight! But you really cracked me up with this!

Cheri said...

Word.

Mrs. G. said...

OK voice but too much make-up. I get him confused with Wayne Newton.

Snooty Primadona said...

OMG! I totally agree with you... and he's only gotten worse with age, LOL! He gives me something akin to the heebie-jeebies. (shudder) I'll bet he's got worse make-up on his collar than any woman I know!

I'll pass on downloading the tunes. I never like his music even when it was popular. Yuck!

Great post! I like your style of writing, so I have blogrolled you.

:-/

Ree said...

At the risk of making you puke your lunch, I actually know someone who knows someone who slept with Tom Jones.

I know. I'm sorry.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Ree: Now that is the most disgusting thing I've heard in a while, which includes the emails I had with Blackbird today about disgusting things we've found in our children's bedrooms. Nasty.

QueenMother said...

I have to agree with you-good songs-NAAASTY face.

Linda and her Surroundings said...

He certainly is not my favorite sex symbol, however, having seen him in concert three times (on the house with an old job) I have to say he is great. Lots of tongue in cheek comments and his big voice putting out those songs - all good value for money. They had even organised undies of the gigantic proportions to be tossed on stage at him (very comedic).

He does have a rather tight face doesn't he. And, well, not so sure about all that foundation he seems to wear.

smalltownmom said...

Search for "Tom Jones - It's Not Unusual(1965)" on youTube. He looks less hairy and more like Richard Gere.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

SmallTownMom: Holy crap, you're right!

Sarah O. said...

Tom Jones is majorly yuck but grooving toIt's Not Unusual is about the most fun you can have in two minutes and two seconds.

Years ago I happened upon a Tom Jones interview on TV and he said that the record's five-second guitar solo was played by "a very hot, very young guitarist - (my boyfriend) Jimmy Page".

Which just made me love the song all the more.

kristabella said...

I now have She's a Lady in my head. Whoa, whoa whoa. And that lady is mine.