Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Page 123

MizMell has tagged me for the book meme that's going around these days. The rules:
  1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages)
  2. Open the book to page 123
  3. Find the 5th sentence
  4. Post the next three sentences
  5. Tag 5 people

"The lawns around the office park become less green and stop growing and turn to stubble, and the begonias in the beds along the walkways fade, and the rhododendron leaves curl and then brown and then drop off. At home you increase the cycle of the underground sprinkler system from three times a week to every other day, to every day, to -- and you feel guilty about this after the voluntary watering restrictions are announced -- morning and evening, and you're maintaining everything but not gaining any ground, nothing seems happy, the lawn is green but thin, patchy, parched-looking, browning around the edges where the sprinkler's spray is weaker, and the crabgrass and clover are moving in. The impatiens along the wall down by the road are bravely blooming, but their foliage looks tired, and even the indestructible independent barberry, weary and dusty, seems to be calling for a helping hand."

Whew.

Honestly? Did any of you actually read that? I know I wouldn't have. Someone needs to instruct the author on increasing his use of periods and cutting way the hell back on his commas.

I'm not going to tag anyone. Feel free to tag yourself. And, if anyone wants this book, holler and I'll mail it to you. If more than one person wants it, I'll have a random drawing to choose a winner.

3 comments:

smalltownmom said...

Those are really long setnences. I can't deal with them at this time of night. I'll tag myself, tomorrow.

MizMell said...

This book has reminded me how much I enjoy "grubbing in the yard." I am (patiently?) waiting on spring...

Flutterby said...

He also needs to check the use of apostrophe placement and learn the difference between how it is used in possessives and contractions. tsk tsk tsk.