Friday, February 08, 2008

February photo 8

For once, today's photo is NOT all about my children or my husband.

I learned to knit only a few years ago. Pete's father and stepmother were visiting one weekend and Pete's stepmother had some knitting with her. I asked if she would teach me and, by the end of the weekend, I had the basics down. This may be one of the greatest gifts my MIL has given me, and that's saying a lot, considering how generous and loving she has been all these years.

Since that time, I have rarely been without a knitting project of some kind or the other. As I've mentioned before, at this point I can only knit squares and rectangles, but I am going to branch out this year. In the meantime, I can do a FIERCE scarf, having knitted so damn many of them.

Currently, I'm working on a scarf for myself and it's a bit different from all the others. I used to do cross stitch, but finally hit my satiety point about ten years ago and I haven't done it since then. I was sorting through my supplies recently and realized that I have loads and loads embroidery floss. Easily a couple hundred different colors. I somehow hit upon the idea of knitting a scarf out of embroidery floss using every single color I posses. Here's what it looks like at this point:


I'm knitting on size 5 needles, which is akin to using cooking skewers, only without the lovely scent of steak. At this point, I have nearly three feet knitted and am planning on this scarf being at least six, possibly even seven or eight feet long. I think it will be great for cool spring days (here and abroad) and it should match with just about anything.

Any of you have any great projects you're working on these days?

10 comments:

smalltownmom said...

Cute! I've moved beyond scarves to baby hats, which I donate to Direct Relief International.

alison said...

That's just lovely! Those small needles would drive me crazy. I'm working on a scarf for myself out of pink Sean Sheep Byron Bay yarn. It's one of those funny yarns, with several yarns spun together (all the same shade of pink) with shiny bits and snubbed bits coming off it. I like the complicated yarns, because it means I can just do straight knitting without even having to purl, and it looks good. Well, to me at least...

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Alison: I would love to see a photo!

Badness Jones said...

Wow! It's gorgeous....how long have you been working on that? I want my mom to teach me to knit again....but then when would I find the time to knit AND blog?!

Melissa said...

Wow. I miss knitting, I think it'll be a few years until I take it up again. Need my hands free with that 3 year old of mine running around the place.

Current project: I'm writing a play for a friend who works with the Venture Theater in Green Bay.

Bunny Bunster said...

That is really pretty!
And I liked how you just so innocently added that it could be worn here and abroad!!

I wish I had the patience and manual dexterity do perform such tasks.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Badness: I started about a month ago and, as of last night, have a little more than 4'. I take knitting with me when I schlep children hither and yon and then knit while they're in their activities. I also knit a lot on the weekends when Pete and I watch DVDs because I can multi-task.

Bunny: Part of the reason I'm knitting this yarn is specifically so I can wear it in England (highs in the 50s -- not so warm) and it will match with everything I pack.

Jan said...

That is beautiful. Knitting is great. If I could just figure out how to knit and read at the same time, I'd be in heaven.

Life As I Know It said...

I learned how to knit several years ago, but never made it past the scarf stage. Someday I'll get back into it. I found it really relaxing!

Lori Anderson Designs said...

That's lovely!