Thursday, February 28, 2008

February photo 28 -- The play's the thing

So I owe y'all a play review and some photos...

Remember how I said that Elegant was chosen to hand out programs? As Pete and I were walking up to school yesterday, I remarked that I was certain our girl was watching for us. Not one second later we heard, "Hi Mommy and Daddy!" and out she came:


You can definitely see the purple footwear in that photo.

And then she did her job and handed me a program...


... followed by handing one to Pete, who thought he'd sneak in a quick smooch too:


We went into the auditorium and Elegant asked us to sit near the door, as that's where she would be coming in and was also near her spot on the stage. Soon thereafter, the actors arrived:


And now for some bad news. Some dumb ass (me) forgot to charge the camera batteries and it was at this precise moment in the action that the camera crapped out. I'm truly sorry.

I'm not going to take you through the entire play ("Tiki Tiki Tembo"), but will tell you it was so much better than the Greek tragedy the third graders did last fall, which was so boring that Pete and I didn't even bother to pay attention. Yes, we are lame parents.

An important thing to know about Elegant: She gets stage fright. I'm not kidding. One would think that she would be a natural in front of an audience, but it's actually quite the opposite. She freezes. Completely and totally. She loves the arts, she loves plays, she loves music. She does not however like to be in front of crowds. So she was there on the stage yesterday, but not really getting into the singing and dancing.

The play itself was very entertaining. Nice music, enthusiastic acting, and even a cute ribbon dance at the end. All in all, a lovely 30 minutes.

11 comments:

Lacey Bean said...

It's sad that I remember Tiki Tiki Tembo from elementary school. Wasn't there some random gibberish rhyme that went along with it?

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Lacey: Yes, it's something like tiki tiki tembo no sa rembo chari bari ruhi pip peri pembo. I only heard it about 27 times yesterday, but I think that's how it goes.

Melissa said...

Glad it was a decent play! Ah, the stage fright thing is always a surprise. Kids you'd never suspect have it and other kids you KNOW will be terrified are just fine. Go figure.

All that matters is that she knew you were there:)

barbra said...

Yay! Thanks for the report! I love the picture with Pete.

My Big Girl is so shy most of the time. She has trouble making friends, and Lord help us if we have to meet some new adults. But not when she gets on stage!

Lisa @ Take90West said...

I love the purple footwear!
Glad the play was better this year.

Aims said...

Hahaha..oh my god...my ex used to call me Tiki Tiki Tembo....I'd call him Chang when I was pissed off at him. God that's weird! Brilliant. Elegant looked smashing, I was proud of her via you!

Sarah O. said...

I swear, nothing's sweeter than a bunch of kids singing. My kids' plays always made me all teary.

And your young Audrey Hepburn's adorable!

clemsongirlandthecoach said...

LOve it!!! She is tooooo cute!

Josie said...

I can sympathize - I have unbelievable stage fright. And still have not overcome it after 3 conventions of speaking in front of 1500 ppl. Awful..
I love the shoes and love her top / vest thingy.
The pic with Pete is a keeper. So sweet.

Mig said...

I hate it when the camera battery dies, it's always at the worst time.

In some ways it's better though because then you can just enjoy the moment instead of trying to capture it.

:-)

Sue said...

Isn't it awesome when you really can be honest and say, "Honey, that was GREAT!" She looks so excited...