Wednesday, February 27, 2008

February photo 27

The second grade play is today. All second graders will be participating and all were instructed to wear a white long sleeve shirt and black pants as their base costume.

Think about that for a moment.

My second grader, Elegant, is supposed to wear black and white, just like everyone else? She's supposed to blend in? This is Elegant -- the child whose entire wardrobe is based on the principle that pink and purple are basic colors and that they match with everything and are appropriate year round and at all occasions.

Does anyone reading this seriously believe that Elegant even has a plain white t-shirt or that she's going do anything plain? Of course not.


Starting from the top...

Elegant opted for a hot pink hair doodad with a butterfly for her very perky hair. I think that style adds three inches to her height today.

The shirt is a lovely white blouse with ruffles at the collar AND cuffs. She does have on a white short sleeve t-shirt underneath for a little extra warmth, and it's probably the only plain thing in her wardrobe and a hand-me-down from Graceful at that.

And there's jewelry, natch. Tiny little blue sapphire studs, a pink and purple charm necklace made by Lori, and a silver and sapphire bracelet. Elegant's birthstone is sapphires, so she likes to wear them, although she would prefer that she'd been born in a month with a brighter stone.

The pants are black leggings that are actually a little short, which gives Elegant an Audrey Hepburn vibe. (Does anyone remember those black pants Audrey used to wear?) Plus it means that people will really notice El's socks and shoes, which are the piece de resistance.

As for socks and shoes, Elegant went with purple socks with rainbows and purple suede Mary Jane shoes with embellished flowers.

So the girl had an extra spring in her step as she went out the door today. She's very excited about the play AND she was chosen to hand out programs beforehand.

Yes, I'll do a play review -- hopefully with photos -- later today.

14 comments:

Melissa said...

She's delightful! I loved Audrey's leggings and you can just tell from the photo how pleased Elegant is with herself.

Family Adventure said...

She's lovely...no matter the colour of the outfit.

Heidi

Vanessa said...

She should be a fashion designer. The girl has spunk!

Jan said...

Great photo. She's an original, and I'm glad, as I'm sure you are, too.

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

Miss Elegant ROCKS the 2nd grade fashion world!

smalltownmom said...

I wish it was a full-length photo! I so totally agree with her. Love, love, love purple. And I told a friend the other day that I consider leopard a neutral (i.e. wear it with everything).

Mrs. G. said...

Could she be any cuter? No!

nejyerf said...

the hair, it's the hair that does it for me.

i love a girl who knows what works for her.

we'll see her on project runway someday!

barbra said...

I can't wait until we hear about the play! Hopefully with a photo that shows the awesome foot fashions!

QueenMother said...

so cute. I love her flair!

Sarah O. said...

So. Incredibly. Cute.

kristabella said...

I love that in the second grade she's got more style in her pinky than I have had in 30 years of my life!

Cheri said...

She is a doll. A living doll.

Peggy Sez.. said...

Miss Elegant has got it going on!