Tuesday, February 26, 2008

February photo 26

Our girls have art at school only once per week, which I think is just plain wrong, but that's a gripe for another time. In art class, the students explore different types of art and experiment with techniques and materials. The art teachers keep all of the finished projects all year and then send them home in June. Pete and I eagerly anticipate the bringing home of the portfolios because there are always some wonderful surprises. We sit together as a family and go through each piece and the girls tell us what they were learning or some other story about their art. Afterward, the girls decide what they want to hang in their rooms and we decide what will hang in the Jenworld Art Gallery:


This is the stairway going down to the basement. If we ever build our dream house, I'm planning to put the art gallery in a much more prominent location, but for now this is just where we have space at this time in this house.

We have other art around the house, including in the little bathroom on the first floor:

The one on the left is by Elegant and is a tree in fall. When I saw it hanging with her classmates' art at school in October 2006, I was so excited because I just knew exactly where I was going to hang it, but then I had to wait eight months until I could actually get my hands on it. The painting on the right is actually a collage that Graceful did. She painted different parts, cut them out, and put them all together into one marvelous whole. Again, as soon as I saw it, I knew exactly where I would be hanging it.

And speaking of art, I need to end this and go pick up Elegant. She has art classes after school on Tuesdays and today was going to be working with clay, which always leads to interesting results.

8 comments:

smalltownmom said...

Children's art is amazing. I have a gallery in my dining room.

Sarah O. said...

I can always tell a good family by the presence of kids' art on the walls.

Your walls are awesome!

Josie said...

I think its absolutely awesom that you hang their art so prominently in the house.
I love the tree pics :)
Sadly, all I ever had was science experiments gone awry, dead insects,etc. Boys are not nearly as cool as girls.

blackbird said...

We have kid art hanging around too - I should post it...

Family Adventure said...

Your girls are really talented. I love how they share the story behind the work with you, and how together you decide which pieces to frame and hang.

Thank you for sharing!

Heidi

Bunny Bunster said...

That is so cool that you frame and hang their beautiful art pieces. They are quite talented.
All I ever got was the "hand turkey" and he drew a wee-wee on it!!

Melissa said...

How cool! That work looks great. I have just begun to use the boys' work as art and I do love it so.

Vanessa said...

Those are awesome pieces of artwork. Very talented! I think its too cool that you give them a gallery to display the art rather than the fridge.