Saturday, February 23, 2008

February photo 23

For some reason, we only recently -- like this very week -- clued in to the fact that the girls would reallyreallyreally enjoy having walkie talkies. As it happens, we had a set squirreled away amongst the junk in the basement. We told the girls about them and then refused to get off our lazy asses at that moment to go find them. Graceful nagged and nagged and nagged and nagged and nagged and nagged and nagged and nagged and nagged and nagged and nagged for a day or two until Pete put on his mining gear and went on the hunt. Two minutes later, he was back and plugging the walkie talkies in to recharge.

Yesterday, Graceful griped mightily about having to walk to school. It was cold, it was potentially wet out there and, if the school system was wise enough to open school two hours late, we probably should just drive instead of walkingl. At least, that was her thinking. As it happens, there was virtually no ice outside and therefore no reason not to walk. Because she is a smart negotiator, Graceful stopped whining long enough to request that they be allowed to use the walkie talkies on the way to school. We said yes -- anything to stop the incessant droning whine of the nine year old mosquito.

Elegant got dressed in record time and prepared her gear:


Alas, when we got outside, there were some technical difficulties, so the girls didn't actually get to talk on the walkie talkies, but they pretended anyway. When we got to school, we confiscated the communications devices, because can you just imagine what would happen otherwise? The girls would somehow figure out how to get them working and then would be whispering plans to each other throughout the day.

Today we are going to my father and stepmother's house, which is a fairly large abode with lots of nooks and crannies. The girls are planning to take the the walkie talkies with them and make use of all those closets and other hidden corners. I'm guessing they'll disappear when we walk in the door and all we'll hear for hours is bursts of static and then two girls speaking in code.

Y'all know this is just one step removed from giving the girls cell phones, right?

11 comments:

clemsongirlandthecoach said...

Since I've lost my funny lately, you're keeping me entertained! Thanks for being friggin hilarious.

And BTW, the minis call them talkie talkies...

duh

MizMell said...

I think I'd stretch out he walkie-talkie usage as long as humanly possible.
I think cell phones can probably held off until they become of driving age.

smalltownmom said...

My boys had Batman walkie talkies.

daysgoby said...

No, this is MUCH COOLER.

I'm amazed my son hasn't gotten B to give him one yet!

Mary said...

Apparently I'm dumb as shit... I cannot figure out how to upload my video on Blogger. I seen that you've conquered it a few times...can you PLEASE let me in on the secret!
Also, I love that you and your friends in Canada exchange gifts...how sweet! I'm up here in Indiana and quite frankly I'm tired of this frozen crap too! Please keep me laughing! :)

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Clemson: I feel like I've lost MY funny, so I go to you for inspiration!

MizMell: It will be a l-o-n-g time before the girls get cell phones. I'm not stupid; once we go there, there's no going back.

Mary: I'm actually out of town right now (and using my father's computer). If you'll send me an email, I'll tell you what little I know when I get back.

Flutterby said...

Talkies? Or are those two way radios... my kids are into the radios. Mermaid just bought her own set that has a freaking 10 mile range. Friends around the neighborhood have them too and they think it's cool because they can all still talk and goof around without wasting cell phone minutes. We take them camping because you cannot always get a decent cell signal in the mountains but the radios always seem to work.

Josie said...

Fist, love the hair :)
Second, who wouldn't love a pair of walkie talkies? The fact you had some hanging around cements the fact you are the best mom ever.

Sarah O. said...

I can totally imagine your girls pretending to walkie talkie. And I can only imagine the giggles when they use them in their grandparents' house!

Family Adventure said...

I love that this made them so excited! We have walkie talkies, too, and my boys still adore them.

Heidi

The MomBabe said...

At least with walkie talkies it's only a one-time fee, plus battery charging time.