Tuesday, February 19, 2008

February photo 19

Elegant's fever broke yesterday afternoon and she felt well enough to play outside. We decided to pull out bikes and scooters:

As soon as the girls hit the road, they started playing a game that involved aliases and sleuthing. While I sat on a bench in the neighbor's yard and kept an eye on things, "Nancy" and "Tiffany" raced up and down the street, fully enjoying the mild winter afternoon and trying to solve the mystery that was part of their game. I must say that Tiffany is mighty skilled at riding a bike while wearing a dress.

Our yard is looking rather winter-weary. You can't see it so much in the photo, but it's almost time to rake out the flower beds and start cleaning things up. While it's too early to start planting, I am at least thinking. And plotting. And planning. And scheming. Because that's what I do this time of year as I contemplate the gardening possibilities.

Today, Elegant is home with me, as we strictly enforce the 24 hour rule with fevers and she has not been fever-free for a full day. I have work to do, but won't put in a full day, as the girl will probably get bored later and will need to be entertained. One thing is certain: We will be listening to classic rock and classic rock only today, as I have the Hannah Fucking Montana soundtrack stuck in my head. I actually woke up with one particular bit of dreck playing in my brain, which is simply unacceptable.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Ack! No Hannah! No! You have to hook that girl into another great singer...Carole King? Janis? Aretha?

Meanwhile, I think your house looks grand. Ours is buried in snow and icicles. Anything that has children riding scooters in light jackets in front of it looks like heaven to this girl right now!

Flutterby said...

I hate my yard in winter. Even though we live in the desert and LOTS of stuff looks dead all year, my yard is GREAT in the spring through the fall. I just hate what bit of grass we allow in the back yard looking like we're going to have to replant it! We never do but it sure gets deader than dead looking before it comes back.

alison said...

I also envy you your scooter weather. I woke up to another snowfall this morning, 3 or 4 inches overnight and more coming down as I took the girls to daycare. Sigh. It's going to be a while before I can even see my garden, let alone get any gardening done.

On the bright side, it's been a great winter for toboganning and skating.

Fannie Mae said...

Teenaged girls are no walk in the park - but at least they can't stand Hannah Montana either!

Life As I Know It said...

Oh, that picture is looking springy to me! We still have lots and lots of snow covering our yard :(

Josie said...

Oh to have a boy and no Hannah :)
I am insanely jealous of your weather. We are covered in snow and ice, resulting in me banging up my elbow pretty bad Sunday.
Oh the embarrassment of falling like a cartoon character.
But I saved the Starbucks :)