Saturday, February 16, 2008

February photo 16

Pete's sister gave Elegant a fairy garden kit for Christmas. Does she know my child well or what? We planted it a couple weeks later -- on a rainy Sunday when everything was so bo-rinnnnnng and there was nothing to do, especially not in a house with hundreds of books and thousands upon thousands of little plastic toys, not to mention most of the American Girl Company's output for the past four years.

Elegant had to first paint a little ceramic fairy hut, as well as two ceramic mushrooms. The kit also included fake flowers and leaves, plenty of sparkly rocks (plus more glitter for extra sparkle), plenty of seeds, and even a wee fairy.


We have been planting a few more seeds every week, trying to stretch out the life of this project. We keep it in the big window in our kitchen, which is convenient for daily peeks to see if more seeds have sprouted. Elegant keeps a spray bottle handy for watering her little garden, but she often forgets. Luckily, there's a Garden Fairy in Jenworld who takes care of such matters for the junior gardeners.

12 comments:

Mrs. G. said...

This is so pretty. It takes me back to the days when my kids would spend hours in the yard constructing fairy houses out of limbs, leaves, petals, moss, stones, and assorted found objects. Fairies never lose their magic, do they?

The MomBabe said...

That is the bestest thing I've ever seen! I may have to go get one....

erin said...

Fun project! Any idea where she got it? I bet my niece would love one of those. (And having a project like that to do when she comes over would Put me back in the lead for the title of "Favorite Aunt!" Hey, I need all the help I can get - one of the other aunts has a cat!)

Ree said...

You need a little toad to life in there.

shay said...

wow what a great gift!
I'm afraid our fairy has a bit of a black thumb and poor fairy garden would not last at our house:(

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Erin: I'm pretty sure it came from a boutique toy store. I also found it on Amazon.com -- just search for "fairy garden kit."

Josie said...

Ohh..new thoughts of what to send :)
It looks like an awesome project and of course, the fairy "water" goddess rocks too.

Badness Jones said...

So pretty....what a great gift!

Melissa said...

Okay, I saw that while christmas shopping and I wanted it for myself. I'm so jealous...

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Melissa: This would also be quite easy to replicate. In fact, I have an outdoor fairy garden in a pot by the back door. I found a wee picket fence, bench, and arbor, as well as a bird house on a post. I even have a tiny wheelbarrow and tools. Instead of flowers, I planted hens and chicks.

erin said...

Thanks! It's too cute - I'm clicking on over to Amazon to order one tonight!

MizMell said...

Thank God for garden fairies!