Monday, February 11, 2008

February photo 11

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that the females of Jenworld are a creative lot and that we adore art supplies. Letting us loose in the craft store is a dangerous thing, because who knows what we'll find and decide to bring home?

There is a large drawer in our study that contains nothing but writing supplies: markers (Crayola and Sharpies), pencils (plain and colored), pens (a rainbow of colors), and more. Around the corner is a wee closet that has several shelves with various materials, including eleventy billion beads, glitter glues in a rainbow of colors, pom poms, pipe cleaners, and oh-so-much more.

Corralling and organizing all these supplies is an ongoing process. For the assorted pens, pencils, crayons, and markers, we finally hit upon this method:



Cans. The kind that tomato sauce or Ro-Tel come in. I know, very classy. But it works for us and goes with our modern design sensibilities. Best of all, it's basically free, which makes Pete happy. So, really, it's a win-win-win-win situation (One "win" for each member of Jenworld.)

9 comments:

Melissa said...

I think it is lovely--simple, efficient, cheap and unified which are the key elements to good design:)

Life As I Know It said...

That is a really good idea!

I feel like we are overflowing with art supply bins and I still can't seem to find anything!

Flutterby said...

We have lots of cans around here being used for that very same thing, and others. I spray painted 3 huge coffee cans for my kitchen utensils. Rotel... you use Rotels... I am So.Thrilled.!! I LOVE Rotels. Actually lately I have been using Hatch, from down in Hatch, NM... home of the best green chiles in the WORLD... they make their own tomato green chile mix-in-a-can but still... most people get this really dumb look when I say "Rotels" they have NO idea what they are, lol. Rotels are the base for a great salsa too... I'll tell you how if you want. It's on my cooking blog somewhere too.

Ree said...

Pens and pencils are excellent things. I can never have enough.

Lacey Bean said...

Love it! I'm always looking for more ways to organize my crafting. Right now it's just in rubbermaid containers all over the place.

Peggy Sez.. said...

Classy indeed! We,being big supporters of spillage,over in DivaLand use the round plastic (tubes) containers Lays chips come in.The cheerful yellow tops are easy to write on,stay on well and can also be used during our reading/spelling lessons.
For example,Tom please fetch the..Colored Pencils..from the cupboard...how easy is that? Here's another,Tom please remove the can of...Army Dudes...from the dogs water bowl.The list goes on and on,sorta like this post.Arn't I soooo clever? ;p

Peggy Sez.. said...

I meant to say ..Sorta like this "COMMENT" not POST..Still clever..DUH!

Mrs. G. said...

Very cool and clever...way to recycle.

Lisa @ Take90West said...

Very cool idea.
I'm stealin' it!