Friday, January 04, 2008

Will it ever end?

For reasons unknown, Pete and I always tackle new projects in Jenworld in January. Oh sure, we do stuff around the house the rest of the year too, but the dead of winter is apparently when we opt to do big things, such as rip out walls or add new ones. Maybe that's the Jenworld version of ringing in the new year? "Happy New Year honey! What do you think of these paint samples?"

Last year, we spent months and months and long painful months simultaneously renovating and redecorating three rooms on our first floor. The living room got new furniture, including My Precious. The kitchen, oh dear god, the kitchen was this horrible series of projects that took forfuckingever and I thought we'd never come out on the other side. I've heard of people getting divorced over hanging wallpaper in a bathroom and I can't believe that this room didn't at least send us into couples therapy. We replaced the floor, closed off the door to the study (formerly known as the dining room) and built a pantry in that spot, replaced light fixtures, and tackled the oh-so-minor project of painting all of our shit-brown 1970s cabinets glossy white and replacing all the hinges and knobs afterward. That particular part of the project took five or six months.

Then, over the summer, I redid the girls' bedrooms, including making two trips to the Mother Ship in one week. That's five hours round trip. Twice.

Now we have embarked on a new project. The aforementioned study didn't really get much done to it last winter. Well, okay, a new wall where a doorway once was. And a new lamp and a new ceiling fixture. And we rearranged the furniture and brought in the old rug from the living room. Big whoop. We are now completely redoing it. New workstation with room for three computers. Cabinets for storage. Reading corner. And so on. I had hoped we would finish almost everything this weekend, but we had a worthless visit to Lowe's yesterday and did not 1) bring home the desk part of the geeked-out workstation or 2) order a new dishwasher (technically not part of the study, but I'm irritated nonetheless). We'll parts of the project done, but not all, and the resulting mess and disorganization seriously disrupts my mental peace. I wish I could say I'm joking, but I'm not.

But that's okay. I can look around the rest of my house and see PLENTY of other potential projects for afterward. Because, after all, what's life without some sort of pain-in-the-ass renovation to keep me irritated and off balance? Pete and I need to completely strip down the laundry/storage room in the basement and organize/clean/dispose of shit. And Pete's talking about adding a bathroom to our basement, which will involve ripping apart a large chunk of the bedroom down there. Oh, and I'm thinking about replacing the light and towel bar in the first floor bathroom, as well as painting the sink cabinet a bold color...

No. It never ends.

12 comments:

The Guider said...

Oh you're making me feel bad. We have a stiff tap and it needs more than the WD40-approach of me and my husband. But have I organised a plumber? Have I h*ck.

We did have the house repainted this year though. And I did clear off the bulletin board a couple of days ago...

Professor J said...

I have several large and heavy boxes of flooring in my entryway. The plan is to work on my daughter's room this month. So I am with you, sister.

Happy Working Mom said...

Wow, you guys are so motivated! I seriously think that's why we built a new house...a couple of years of no projects! But of course that's not really the case as we have painted/still need to paint, but we just don't have your motivation.

Will you pass it along???

Kristin said...

The marshmallow sofa!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

Good luck with the rest... we need to redo the kitchen (need being subjective) but I just can't quite face another round of contractors... or check writing!

Family Adventure said...

I totally love reno projects, but my husband hates them. It's a major source of tension when we are in Canada. I want to redo pretty much every.single.room in our house. He thinks everything is perfect.

I think I like Pete better :)

Heidi

Melissa said...

I am amazed by any couple who can handle a renovation without divorce lawyers or couples counseling. You go, Girl!

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Guider: If it makes you feel better, we have plenty of minor tweaks that we're ignoring -- doing a teeny tiny paint touch-up in the girls' bathroom, putting in a new exhaust fan in our bathroom, etc.

HWM: We have exactly enough motivation to get our project done, but not enough to go beyond that. So, no, I don't have any to share.

Heidi: I'm lucky that Pete understands when things need to be done. Even better, he'll often initiate projects because he's had a brainstorm before me.

Melissa: We know our limitations. Painting the exterior of our house? That will be farmed out to the professionals or else we would be calling in lawyers. But for the other projects, we work well together.

smalltownmom said...

We used to do tons of stuff to our house. Then my husband burnt himself out gutting and completely rehabbing my late mother's house. It took a year and a half. Now he's lost interest in doing anything around here. Like, I want new windows, but he doesn't want to have someone else put them in, therefore...I don't have new windows.

Josie said...

You are a much better woman than I Jen. I hate home renos of any kind. Maybe that's why I agreed to get married??

Sue said...

My goodness. You guys keep busy. I have a to do list, but we have not even started on it. I would love to finish the basement this year. Now I just need to rob a bank to make it happen.

Who's with me?!!

Flutterby said...

Ok please tell me the secret of getting hubby to agree to painting the cabinets white. Because that is what *I* wanted to do and he refused. We have chair rail and half slat paneled walls in the dining room, which adjoins the kitchen, and we painted the panel and rails white, the rest of the walls in dining and kitchen are pale yellow. It looks great in my opinion, and the only thing making it icky is the cabinets in the kitchen. They should also be white. but noooo.. He scraped and sanded and re-freaking-stained them.

Linda and her Surroundings said...

Having been in the same house for 17 years I can tell you that projects NEVER stop. Never, ever. I am glad my brother is a builder and I work for a builder so that helps with getting things done.

I am good with the ideas - that is where it stops.