Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Ramblin' woman

Pete left at oh-my-gawd o'clock yesterday morning for one of his amusement park trips. This time, he's in Florida and will be back tonight.

We've been coping just fine in his absence, thank you very much. In fact, I cheered myself up with a trip to Tar-zhay yesterday, whereupon I bought my very ownself a new lamp. I've been wanting it for a year. And for a year Pete has been saying he doesn't like it. As it happens, Pete broke the lamp by the side of his bed before he left. So he's getting my old lamp and I got what I wanted. I think that was really quite fair of me.

The girls have a renewed interest in hair ribbons -- particularly fancy ribbony hair thingies. (Don't you just love my amazing grasp of the English language? So erudite, I know.) I bought loads of new ribbons yesterday to create the necessary hair accessories.


The photos aren't very clear, but the hair thingies are gobs of ribbons tied to a rubber band (and discreetly glued for extra hold). The one Graceful is wearing is six different purple patterned ribbons and Elegant's is all Lilly Pulitzer pinks and greens. I bought so many new ribbons that I could probably open an Etsy shop and sell hair doodads for months, but that would involve far more effort than I feel like giving, so I'll probably make loads of them for the girls and their friends and share the ribbony joy.

Having new hair finery helped soften the blow of the girls not being able to wear their new Webkinz charm necklaces. They got one charm each in their stockings and Elegant has been wearing her bling daily ever since. However, I went to the store yesterday to buy more charms and was told that they've been recalled due to possible lead paint, so I've confiscated the girls' necklaces until we can replace them with toxin-free options that won't cause brain damage.

It was raining when I woke up this morning. The girls hate rainy mornings and didn't want to get out of bed. I bribed them with the promise of listening to the "High School Musical" soundtrack during breakfast. My bribery worked and they moved with alacrity.

Also speeding El's movement this morning was her desire to wear her new cheetah print pants from Mini Boden:


My word, that girl sure knows how to put together an outfit. The fairy on her shirt is 100% sequins, because that's really what goes with animal prints. She wants to wear cheetah print from top to bottom and inside out, so I'm trying to explain the "less is more" concept to her. She's not buying it.

I drove the girls to school this morning since it was so wet. The sun came out shortly thereafter and lit my way while I ran eleventy squillion errands without the benefit of sunglasses.

Oh, and remember those beaded window thingies (I know, more intelligent English) I talked about last week? I ordered several that day and they arrived yesterday. I'd show you how fabulous they look hanging in the window over my kitchen sink, but none of my photos turned out. Just imagine glorious colors surrounded by white cabinets. Doesn't it look great? I'd like to get more, but first I need to see how Pete reacts when he beholds that colorful splendor. Luckily, I have Graceful and Elegant backing me on this one, so I think we can out-estrogen his testosterone.

And now I need to make the harrowing commute to work and earn my paycheck. I hope everyone is having a good day!

18 comments:

Bunny Bunster said...

That is one very snazzy outfit!
Who wouldn't want to wear cheeta print top to bottom and inside out??

Family Adventure said...

You are one busy lady! I can't wait to see the bead curtain. It sounds fabulous. As do those ribbons in their girls' hair. Quite lovely.

I wonder if Pete will dare go away again, considering all the estrogen action taking place while he's away. Like your new lamp! :)

Heidi

Melissa said...

I love the abandon with which little girls dress and accessorize.

Melissa said...

I love the abandon with which little girls dress and accessorize.

Traci Anne said...

I'm not even kidding, El's my new fashion muse. Sequins AND animal prints? If she starts rockin' the big hair, I'd check her birth certificate to make sure she wasn't actually born in Texas ;)

Mrs. G. said...

You are so funny. One business trip my husband took the kids and I bought a cat. Another businesss trip he too we bought another cat. He's quit travelling, sadly, so now we have other methods of getting our way.

Can't wait to see the beads.

Oh and those girls and their ribbons are mighty pretty.

daysgoby said...

First off, enjoy those beaded thingies! How cool!

Secondly, thought you might like this:
http://txpoppet.blogspot.com/2007/11/wfmw-fancy-hairbows-in-less-than-minute.html

Yay for no gluing!

Flutterby said...

AWwww c'mon mom... it's only a problem if they are EATING the lead stuff, you know?? I just got back from my Tar-zhay trip for the day. Toilet paper was becoming a rare find in the cabinets here. And Mermaid will be thrilled because I found a DS Lite that she has been DYING for. She won't be happy that it's pink but that was all they had so she will just have to suck it up.

Flutterby said...

And I meant to ask so you can clarify for me, considering I am sometimes dense... but is that the price for ONE STRING of the beads on those? If so, I am definitely in the wrong business, lol.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Bunny: She is nothing if not fancy.

Heidi and Mrs. G.: I can't imagine what Pete's going to say about the beads or the lamp. If it keeps him home in the future, I'm fine with that.

Melissa: That perfectly describes Ellie.

Traci: If I didn't know better, I'd say that child was conceived, born, and raised in Dallas. Half of Pete's family is in Houston, but they're transplants, which means it's not genetic.

Flutterby: Yep, that's what I paid per strand of beads. Nope, I haven't got a bit of sense.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Daysgoby: Thanks for the link! I've actually made bunches of that kind of hair thingy, but they don't look as pretty twisted in hair because the ribbons get tangled in the rubber band. Hence, the new design -- the ribbons still look pretty and perky.

Jennifer said...

Cheetah print - I love it! If only I had the body for it!! Ha!

I've been making random strands of beads ever since seeing your original post on the beaded window thingie. I do believe I'm taking a stab at making one of my very own, even if there isn't a single window on my house fitting for it.

Sue said...

Oh, I so need to go buy ribbons. You can never have too many ribbons...

Better rain than snow!

Jill said...

Come on Jen, EVERYONE knows that when wearing cheetah print , you must wear as many sequins as possible. My daughter once had a dance outfit that was a pink cheetah print, covered in sequins.
As for the ribbons, at our house we call them "hair doodles"
Congrats on your 15 lbs! You are the coolest!
Jill

kristabella said...

When I have kids, I need to have boys. I am a tomboy and hair ribbons frighten me.

Peggy Sez.. said...

Guys and animals here,or is that the same thing? Whatevah..earth tones abound in DivaLand.Stains just seem to disappear dont'cha know...LOL!

blackbird said...

Ribbons! Sequins! Beads!
My female fix for the day is complete.
Need a photo of the bead thing - am not getting it.

Happy Working Mom said...

My daughter loves hair ribbons also...I never thought of making her some...I should do that!

I can't believe the webkinz charms have lead paint! When will it ever end? When will these toy companies learn???