Thursday, January 03, 2008

Normalcy

The girls went back to school today. They actually were not grumpy about it, as today is Crazy Sock Day. It's amazing the little things that can get the kidlets ever so thrilled about ending their vacation.

We spent yesterday, our last day of freedom, getting back to normal. In the afternoon, we went out for the annual rite of Spending the Girls' Money/Giftcards. One aunt and uncle gave them each $25. $25!!! That's a fortune to two children who have monthly allowances of $9 and $7 respectively. Anyone want to guess what all that moolah was blown on? Anyone? Anyone?

Webkinz. But of course.

Sigh.

After the Great Webkinz Search, we went to Barnes & Noble, whereupon the girls managed to spend the $40 gift cards they had each received from a grandpa and grandma. Again, the purchasing power they had was utterly thrilling to them. So many books. So many possibilities.

Back at home, I attacked the various messes in our house. I puttered around, restoring order and organization. I have packed up the Christmas decorations and they're ready to go up in the attic this weekend. The bathrooms are clean, the laundry is caught up, and the fridge is stocked with vegetables, fruits, and other healthy foods. Starting off our short school/work week with a tidy-ish house made things go better.

The one area in which we have utter chaos is our study. We have started our reno, but need to make a trip to the hardware store for necessary supplies. Consequently, there are boxes of unbuilt things and half-built things stacked everywhere. Ultimately, we will have a fab work station with space for three computers -- oh the geekery in Jenworld! -- as well as a reading corner with a comfortable chair and ottoman, but for now we simply have a mess. I think we'll get most of it done this weekend, so I'll just have to deal with the discombobulation for another 60 hours or so (not that I'm counting).

Oh yeah, and then there's work. I do have a job that I've ignored for almost a week now, so I have to work today. Even though the glee club guys are on winter break, they have a concert in four weeks, so I'm starting the publicity machine this week.

A thrilling start to the New Year, eh?

17 comments:

Melissa said...

Nothing like order and organization to get the year started off right. Good luck on the renovations. Webkinz. (insert chuckle) My boys would blow the whole wad on candy and toy guns so I cannot judge Graceful and Elegant.

Happy Working Mom said...

Yes, Webkinz. My daugther is seriously addicted! Her friends have like 6 of them so she feels her 2 are inadequate. Whatever!

Good luck getting back into the swing of things...it kind of sucks from the work aspect :)

clemsongirlandthecoach said...

Webkinz are such in issue. I won't let the children use the laptop, so they fight over the desktop...

Badness Jones said...

3 computers! I'm so jealous, but I have a feeling that something similar will be in the cards for us in the not so distant futre, now that I am a blogging addict and the Princess has discovered Nick Jr's computer games.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Badness: One of those computers will be my work laptop which is not to be touched by my children or used for Webkinz. The other two computers will be desktops -- sort of his 'n' hers since Pete often works at home and the girls and I can't use the family computer while he's working. And, to be honest, we'll probably let the girls do Webkinz simultaneously on the desktops so that their animals can interact with each other.

About the Webkinz: I refuse to spend my money on them, so the girls have to use their allowance money or the money they get from doting relatives. Grace has five and Ellie has four, which I think is excessive, but we know childrne with more than that. Plus, there are the trading cards, charms, blah blah blah. The whole thing is such a scam, but I have to say that the girls are much more computer literate than they were four months ago, so I supposed I can't complain too much.

Mrs. G. said...

I love your geekery!

clemsongirlandthecoach said...

RE: your comment, I am assuming you're not married to a Coach, so that rules out "coach's laptop" as a fav toy. So, by process of elimination, you're a fan of the iPod, label maker, Palm Pilot and the unmentionable...too funny!

traci anne said...

So... color me uninformed, but what exactly ARE Webkinz? I see ads for them around the city every so often but have no clue what they are!

Josie said...

Oh how I wish my child was back in school.
Good luck on the renos and I like the fact you're a geek :)

Family Adventure said...

My kids don't go back until Monday, but I am READY. Oh yes...ready, ready, ready!!

Glad your girls had a thrill shopping. Not sure how well that bodes for the teenage years, though... :)

Heidi

Silvia said...

My dd got two for xmas but the site is messed up and she can't get her account started. They're having technical problems, apparently. :(

Fannie Mae said...

Erm, I'm with Tracy - what are webkinz?

Professor J said...

I love the beginning of a new term in school. There's no excitement like it.

Sarah O. said...

Welcome back to the real world, Jen. My kids don't go back to school until Wednesday! I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Traci and Fannie Mae: Webkinz are the work of Satan.

Okay, I kid ... a little.

Webkinz are stuffed animals. They come with a little code that you enter at the website, whereupon you enter the Land of Oz. A virtual world where stuffed animals come to life. Kids all over the world are addicted, including my two.

Hope said...

one thing about homeschooling is that the start date is flexible...sometimes..tooooo flexible...heh...we will start ON MONDAY. There I said it.

Flutterby said...

My kids so far each had a Best Buy and a Target card, which they promptly traded off with each other so that Gadget had $50 to spend at Best Buy and Mermaid has $50 at Target. I hope their financial "savviness" continues on through adulthood.