Thursday, January 10, 2008

It's a shame they don't have any real toys to play with


There are rocks all over the kitchen table. The girls have been collecting them for some time. When they find a good one -- in the backyard or maybe while we're on a walk -- they immediately wash the rock, decorate it with Sharpies, and give it a name.

Rocks are our friends, you know.

The rocks usually reside in buckets in the girls' bedrooms; however, on Tuesday they came out to play and have stayed out ever since. The girls played with the rocks Tuesday evening after dinner and most of yesterday afternoon and evening. They were so busy that they forgot about their other favorite activities, including Webkinz time on the computer.

While the arrangement may seem random, there's actually a complex situation here. This is Graceful's group and they are sorted according to some hierarchy known only to her. Every single item, including the overturned can, has been deliberately positioned. The rocks have identities too. There are parent rocks and baby rocks. I think I heard her say something about a group of evil rocks that the other rocks fear, but I haven't actually figured out which group is which.

I'm not going anywhere particular with this post -- I just wanted to share this bit of creativity in Jenworld.

14 comments:

Melissa said...

Which ones are the rock stars? (Sorry, that was so lame, but I couldn't resist.) Mr. T collects rocks too, but hasn't named them although he has favorites. He keeps them in VERY HEAVY boxes under his bed and NO ONE is allowed to touch them. EVER!

Jill said...

Don't you love it? You spend How much(?) on stuff for them at Christmas, and they end up playing with rocks.
Mine do the same thing.

Bunny Bunster said...

Great imagination!

Flutterby said...

They would love my front yard... piles and piles of smooth river rocks of all sizes. We have an assortment of them in the house too in the gbaby's room. Because he is always picking one up out of the yard that catches his eye for some reason and will bring it in and ask me to put a face on it. I have a Sharpie dedicated to the sole purpose of putting smilies and frownies on rocks. One on each side. Because, as you know, sometimes rocks are happy and sometimes they are mad.

Badness Jones said...

I love the things kids will play with sometimes....when the Princess was 2 she would take multiple pairs of socks in her purse to daycare...most kids have blankies or stuffed animals, mine has accessories!

I like the window beads, btw!

alison said...

I think my girls and your girls would get along famously. Mine paint their rocks. Leah can't go anywhere without picking up a rock(s) and dragging it/them home. I think it's karma for me getting my degree in geology.

Sarah O. said...

It's times like this that parents appreciated their kids the most, isn't it?

smalltownmom said...

That's great! I have a very special rock with googly eyes, feather wings, and pipe cleaner legs, which my older son made 13 years ago. Younger son gave me so many rocks that we made a special rock garden around the peach tree.

BlueBella said...

Umm. . .. I never did that as a kid . . .. LOL

No I had rocks stashed everywhere, just not all done up with sharpies . . .those hadn't been invented yet.

nejyerf said...

i have a huge rock in my backyard that is just begging for some decoration.

do they do house calls?

richgold said...

My son used to collect rocks and give them to me as presents. Only after he was doing a project on penguins, did I learn about one type of penguins that give rocks to build a nest.

Up to that point I had not realized I was part penguin!

kristabella said...

I have a rock like this from my nephew. It's ugly and he painted it green and threw some glitter on it.

And my mom got pebbles glued to a piece of paper.

Peggy Sez.. said...

Ahhh yes the rock collection! We just have a big bowl we put them in until "The Boy" needs to inspect them.Some of ours are evil as well.Do yours explode too?...LOL!

Linda and her Surroundings said...

At the bottom of my son's school bag is a collection of rocks and stones. I am not allowed to take them out.