Saturday, January 12, 2008

Generosity with friends

Elegant has a full-sized bed, which is plenty of space for someone who's barely four feet tall. Lately, she has taken to filling almost every square inch of her bed with her stuffed animals and dolls. She piles them all in, organizes them, makes sure they're tucked in and warm. Then she tries to find a space in which she herself can sleep. This is difficult, so Elegant ends up sleeping on the very edge of the bed. Earlier this week, she actually fell out.

We have explained to Elegant that she should sleep in the middle of the bed, so as to have plenty of space. El refuses, saying that some of her friends would fall out and end up sleeping on the floor all night. We clearly can't have that. So we wait until she's asleep and then we shift around some of her bears, dogs, monkeys, and cats. We carefully move Elegant away from the edge of the bed and make sure that she's covered.

Since so many creatures great and small are on the pillows that Elegant has taken to using one of Pete's old Curious Georges as a pillow. Given that George is the same color as Elegant's hair, this makes finding her in the dark very difficult unless we remember her approximate position from when we tucked her in earlier. In fact, Pete went in to check on the girl one night this week and couldn't find her in the zoo.

Last night, Elegant's friends took up so much space that she could only crawl into a small corner at the foot of the bed. It wasn't even enough room for her and her feet were hanging off the edge of the bed.

All of this will reset today. I'll bed bare. The menagerie will be loaded into the basket where they normally reside. The bed will be remade with clean linens and blankets. We'll have a clean slate for tonight and perhaps, just perhaps, Elegant will go back to sleep with just one or two friends and will have room enough for herself.

8 comments:

MizMell said...

I remember time like this with my own two. Perhaps Elegant needs bunk beds so her "friends" will have a place to sleep and she will have ample room.

Maddy said...

Ooo dear. I seem to recall that I slept like that too! I had the advantage of being tightly tucked in with sheets and blankets so there was no danger of my pals falling out either side of me.
Best wishes

Badness Jones said...

Lol! I can just imagine Pete searching through the animals for her! Princess always sleeps with a couple, and she has this huge Dora doll with great big eyes that was the favourite for ages....I'd go into check on her in the dark and see this big staring face instead....scared the crap out of me more than once!

countrymouse said...

Some of the things Elegant does bring back old, forgotten things for me : ) The rock heirarchy and the sleeping arrangement are quite similar to things I did!

BTW, loved the beads! I'm thinking that could work in my drab, boring bedroom!

And now I'm off to find out if you got some good advice on the 'walking the neighbor kid to school' issue. I have no advice for you, but I hope others did : )

smalltownmom said...

My 11 year old boy still has a bed full of friends. Somehow there is still room for him.

erin said...

I remember doing that when I was little. I'd also have to tuck them all in before I left for school in the morning, too - just so they wouldn't get cold while I was gone all day.

BTW - Completely off topic (sorry), but have you heard about the guy who spent this past week living in the Ikea in Paramus, NJ?! His apartment was being fumigated and he didn't have a place to stay so Ikea let him live in their store for the week - they even made him vegetarian food. I totally thought of you when I saw it on the news!

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Erin: I have heard about that guy, but haven't taken the time to go to his website and look at any of the video clips. What an amazing gimmick!

Family Adventure said...

But how sweet that she looks out for her friends and wants them to have the best place in the bed...that's a kind and generous heart :)

Heidi