Tuesday, January 01, 2008

A fresh start

Ah, January 1st. A new year is ahead of us. There are just so many possibilities before us in the next 12 months.

I'm sure some of you have made some resolutions for the new year. Here in Jenworld, I don't do resolutions. Instead, I call them goals. And I keep my goals manageable, so as not to guarantee failure in the first month.

Here's my list for 2008:
  1. Continue losing weight and getting healthier. I have broken that goal into smaller goals, with my next benchmark set for how much weight I will have lost by Valentine's Day, followed by a second benchmark on April 1st. It's one thing to say that I'm going to lose weight, but it's another thing entirely to break that down into manageable amounts. (And if anyone is interested in joining me in this goal, please see my post today at Fight the Fluffy. I've thrown out a challenge to Fluffy readers.)
  2. Learn to knit, really knit. I can do squares and rectangles and that's it. This is the year I figure out hats and other non-linear shapes. Maybe I'll even tackle a sweater.
  3. Read literary classics. 2007 was the year I focused more on non-fiction. 2008 is the year I either revisit some of the books I last read in high school or tackle the great works I have heretofore missed altogether. If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know.
That's it. That's my list. Easy enough that I know I will be successful in reaching my goals, which is the point, isn't it?

What about y'all? What plans or changes do you have in mind for 2008?

18 comments:

Melissa said...

Good luck on knitting hard core projects! Please post photos!
I often make a reading resolution, but haven't made one of late...I like yours.

The Guider said...

I put my resolutions/goals on my blog so you probably saw them already ;-)

Just read your about me post from Jan 2 last year. Funny re the Jenni thing, I was Jenni for years too and hate it now as well. I never get post addressed to Mrs HIS NAME Smith though. Ever.

smalltownmom said...

The only resolution I've made so far is to "use hand lotion on a regular basis."

Melissa said...

Oh, and the scarf that my friend made me--I asked her to send me the details on it she finally did. Here you go:

It used a combo of these 2 yarns knit together.

It's a simple pattern of...
K3 P2 K3 P2 K3
fringed ends

I can't recall what size needles I used.

1 skein "Lana Grossa" Pon Pon Print
color 201
dyelot 0070

2 skeins 'Nordique Plassard"
color (red) 056
dyelot 8705

Kristin said...

Other than working on my inner bitch, my goals are to be kinder to myself and recommit to yoga... it's a combo bitch/zen year - should be interesting!

Mrs. G. said...

Good luck with your continued hard work and leap towards health.

I suggest Vanity Fair...snappy little heroine.

Lori Anderson Designs said...

If you need some relatively easy sweater patterns, I have! You could start with a baby sweater!

Linda and her Surroundings said...

I posted my ten up on my blog. But really, there are so many other things I could add to it. Like you I would love to learn to knit, read more books - plus I would like to learn to swim.

So many things, so little time.

Professor J said...

I am proud of you for working on your health! I need to do that, as well.

clemsongirlandthecoach said...

Knitting is the one creative endeavor that eludes me. I have been taught by two fabulous and talented knitters who declared me unteachable. Ridiculous really, considering that I am so crafty I can make people...

:) Happy 08!

erin said...

I actually sat down and wrote out my own little re-cap list of 2007 -the highs, the lows and my goals for 2008. It was fun, and nice to see that there was more good than bad in '07, since sometimes I can get hung up on the negative stuff. I'm hoping that putting my goals in writing helps me actually accomplish them. (I'm not the best with New Year's resolutions.)

I've delared '08 the "Year of Me," so it's all about taking time for myself. Time to work out, time to read more, time to learn a new language (I'm trying to decide between French and Latin), time for the guitar lessons I've been wanting to take for the past decade or so, etc. We'll see how it goes!

Suzanne said...

Happy New Year, Jen!

Wishing you and Pete and the girls much health and happiness, love, joy, laughter and success in 2008!

Jennifer said...

I'm with you, in that I don't really make resolutions, per se. But I do seem to walk into every year with a unintentional set of healthy expectations.

This year, I just want to resolve to be the best me I can be, with all that implies and entails. The details will work themselves out. They always do.

Happy '08 to all the Jenworld residents!

Patience_Crabstick said...

Good luck with the knitting. It's such a rewarding activity.
If you're going to read classics, I recommend Anthony Trollope. His novels are amusing, quaint, even sexy in a gentle sort of way.

countrymouse said...

Love the reading resolution! Why can't I come up with creative resolutions like that?

"use hand lotion on a regular basis" and "it's a combo bitch/zen year" are *hilarious*!

Sue said...

I'm planning to come crawling back to Fight the Fluffy. On my hands and knees and very large butt.

jenny said...

I've got no resolutions as of yet. I've got to stick with the resolutions word because saying I've got no goals for this year makes me feel kind of loserish and totally incompetent.

Funny, I just read the guider's comment and I've NEVER been a Jenny. Always a Jenn or Jenna, which in hindsight I wish I had thought of before coming up with the ultralame blog name.

Claire B. said...

Goals, resolutions--my 10 were posted today and will actually take some work this year. But in one's mid-ffewiosrties one takes serious stock of one's life!

Love your "read the classics" goal.