Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Elementary physics

As I mentioned recently, the third graders have been working on science projects -- basic physics. Yes, in elementary school. I'm beyond impressed. The student had to design either a playground or an obstacle course using six simple machines (lever, pulley, wedge, wheel and axle, screw, and incline) and a compound machine (a combination of at least two simple machines).

After some discussion and online research, Graceful decided to design a playground that has:
  • a slide,
  • a merry-go-round,
  • a water fountain (the handle is the screw),
  • a play structure with a pulley for hauling up toys,
  • a seesaw,
  • a pond with a toy boat with oars (the wedge),
  • and a roller coaster. Because all playgrounds have roller coasters, right?
She is her father's daughter.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so strange. Yesterday in the mail I got an ad encouraging me to purchase a quarterly patriotic magazine entitled "This England". (Here's where it gets strange - I opened that piece of mail!) And then I thought of you, a person I do not know and would not recognize in a crowd of say, two persons. Do you know about this magazine? It looks like it's right up your alley.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Anon: No, I haven't heard of it, so perhaps I should pass through Barnes & Noble today.

Bunny Bunster said...

What playground is not complete with a least one coaster?!

Family Adventure said...

Amazing!! That is a talented girl you've got there!

Heidi :)

Josie said...

A roller coaster at the playground?? I'd be there everyday :)
Amazing concept!!

Melissa said...

That is excellent!

Traci Anne said...

Um, that's like the coolest playground ever.

Vanessa said...

she is one creative little girl! and smart!