Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Elegant wants to have tea with the Queen

Before you read any further, you should really go read this post so as to fully appreciate what I'm about to say. Trust me on this one. I'll wait here until you come back.

You're back? Good, because here's what I have to say:

WE BOUGHT FOUR PLANE TICKETS TO LONDON!!!

No, we're not excited at all. We don't have a stack of guide books and two maps of London on our coffee table, with three more books expected in today's mail. No, I haven't compiled a packing list for a trip that's more than two months away. Graceful has most certainly not been reading a guide book, nor has she asked to ride a double decker bus. Elegant hasn't been walking around perfecting her British accent. And we definitely didn't talk about the trip while we walked to school this morning.

We're all perfectly calm about it all.

When the girls went to bed last night, they knew that this trip was a possibility. Pete was still working on our airfare, so things weren't set yet. When I woke the girls this morning, I told them that we'd bought the tickets.

Elegant asked, "So are we really going?"

I said, "Unless something comes up." (Thinking of my father's iffy health.)

Elegant said, "You mean, like the circus?!?"

Graceful is already thinking about what she's going to pack -- she is SO MUCH like me.

We don't have a definite itinerary yet, only a vague plan to spend a large chunk of time in London, with a day trip to Oxford to see friends who are on sabbatical there. We've talked about going up to York, which we love, but we've also talked about heading the other direction to the Cotswolds and then on to Shakespeare Country. (Guider, I'll email you about this.)

So anyway, lots of exciting things for us to think about!

Now we just all have to be patient until April. Sigh.

25 comments:

Sarah O. said...

Exciting! Let us know if April in London is as romantic as April in Paris.

smalltownmom said...

I'm so excited for you! You are going to have a wonderful trip! My kids have been to England, but I haven't. How unfair is that?

Lacey Bean said...

So much fun! I love England!!

Melissa said...

OMG!!! I"m so excited for you!!! This is one of my absolute favorite places in the whole planet (been there 3 times, Ireland & Scotland once each). How fun! In April! You should have a balmy time! And you probably already know this, but the DK Eyewitness travel guides are hands down the best. I own one from every place I've been and they are exceedingly user-friendly.

Traci Anne said...

OMG. OMG. OMG.

SO JEALOUS.

SERIOUSLY. That's so awesome!!!

erin said...

That is so exciting! You guys are going to have the best time! (Mmm... Crunchie bars.)

My parents are heading to Scotland in April (my mom was born & raised in Glasgow), so I was already envious about their trip - now I'm doubly-envious. I think I speak for all of your readers when I say: we expect a full report!

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Erin: If we had a small lightweight laptop, I would love to blog daily with photos, but given how much this trip is going to cost us, I'm thinking a new laptop is not in our future.

Badness Jones said...

Oh oh oh! I love London...looove England....looove Scotland.....looove London! I lived in Chelsea for a year when I was 20, and had a boyfried in Glasgow (very convenient when you're 20 to have a boyfriend only every other weekend! LOL!) We took the Princess to England 2 years ago, and had sooo much fun...I'm jealous...can I come?

Lela said...

Woohoo! Sounds like fun! I'd put a funny british remark here, but damned if my southerner brain knows any!

The Guider said...

SSSSSSSSSSCCCCCCCCCCCCRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really?

How cool! And you don't honestly think you can come and not see me??????

Regains composure.

Well, you know, whatever...

blackbird said...

OHMYGOSH - you are going to have such a good time.
April's not that far off...

Family Adventure said...

AWESOME, Jennifer. I am very excited for you all. We will be in the UK at the end of April. I'm crossing fingers for decent weather!

Heidi

alison said...

How v. v. wonderful! I heart the UK too. I'm not a born Canadian, you know, I'm an import. I was born in Hastings (yes, as in 1066 battle of). I haven't been over since I was a teen, but live vicariously through the novels of Ian Rankin (Edinburgh), Reginald Hill and Peter Robinson (Yorkshire) and Antonia's blog Whoopee (London).

Have fun maintaining composure til April.

Fannie Mae said...

Good for you! Your girls are going to LOVE it! I spent a summer there a gazillion years ago and it was great, so much to do/see. Precious Oldest is about 90% sure she's doing her study abroad there next year, so natch we'll have to visit.

Flutterby said...

Well then you need to find a cyber cafe... cause they got them there. Lots of them.

Kris Akarti said...

Hellooo, I found you through Sue's (Navel Gazing) blog and have been reading through your archives for the past couple of days.

I am also a Brit living in a Yank's body, so I feel for ya there. I was able to live in London for 6 months in 2005 and it was the best experience of my life. I can't wait to go back. I am so excited for you guys to be able to go over there. Congrats on so many levels, and please, eat as much chocolate as you possibly can and then use an empty suitcase to bring some back.

...And then send some to me. I miss my Cadbury and Galaxy bars!!

(Also, Oxford and York are two of my favorite places in England. London will always be my favorite, but the other two are close behind it.)

Antonia said...

Oh my God! You're coming to London! April is a lovely time to visit. If you're wondering what to see and what not to see I'm quite happy to bore you shitless with ideas.

I lived in York for 10 years. It's beautiful. Really good place to be a tourist. Oxford's amazing, too.

Spiffing!

A x

Mrs. G. said...

Oh, how exciting!!! What a wonderful thing to look forward to. I'm sure the Queen would be silly not to have Elegant and Grace to tea. Such refined little ladies.

kristabella said...

Woo. Hoo! That is so exciting! Am totally jealous!

There is nothing wrong with a bit of planning.

Peggy Sez.. said...

OH WOW! That sounds so exciting,not to mention ALL the stories for your blog when you return. Adventure,Romance,Tea with the Queen,Double Decker Bus Rides did I mention Romance? ;p

Bunny Bunster said...

I'm very excited for you!

jenny said...

WOW!

Talk about exciting! I swear, planning a trip is a high all it's own.

And only a few months away!

erin said...

I meant a report when you get back and settled in, not during the actual trip - think of what you might miss if you were stuck in front of the computer!

I so want to start using the word "spiffing" like Antonia did in her comment!

Karen MEG said...

That is very exciting, London is such a great city. You should have an absolute ball!

Lisa @ Take90West said...

Lucky!
I think that sounds like a wonderful trip!
I studied in London for 6 months and I've always wanted to take my kids there to share it with them.
The UK is a a wonderful place.
Congratulations!