Thursday, December 27, 2007

Over the river, through the woods, and up a big ass mountain

Over the river, and through the wood,
(and down the highway)
To Grandmother's house we go;
(people, she will always be known as Grandma Ass on this blog)

The horse knows the way to carry the sleigh
(horse = Pete; carry the sleigh = drive the Mazda without wrecking)

through the white and drifted snow.
(no snow, this is Virginia, not Wisconsin)


Over the river, and through the wood,
(My god, how many rivers must we cross?)

To have a first-rate play.
(To take the girls to their grandparents' house. And leave them there. While we head home. Without children.)

Hear the bells ring, "Ting-a-ling-ding",
(Tell the girls to turn down their iPods.)

Hurrah for Thanksgiving Day!
(Hurrah! The girls are spending a couple of days with their grandparents!)


(More river, more woods, blah blah blah. The end.)

And then, after we dropped the girls off for 48 hours of fun and games with the grandparents, we hiked Peaks of Otter, which used to be known as the tallest moutains in Virginia, but that is not actually correct. Still, Sharp Top is a big-ish ass mountain and I was gasping and wheezing within the first five minutes. The wheezing eventually stopped, but only because my lungs decided to hibernate for a while as they just couldn't handle the extreme cardio workout.

[No snarky comments from anyone who lives in/near the Rocky Mountains or any other big tall pointy mountains. A mountain is a mountain is a mountain, whether it's big or just medium.]

And now we're home, which is very quiet in its child-free state. My word, the possibilities, they are endless...

9 comments:

Josie said...

Well don't let us interrupt. Go enjoy the "child free" home. Hint, hint :)

Sarah O. said...

What a great gift the grandparents have given you- TWO days without the kids! I know you're enjoying every minute of your free time. I also suspect you're thinking of and talking about the kids nonstop.

I've seen the Peaks of Otter and they look like real mountains to me. They still do, even though I live at the base of The Rockies. Which, thanks to the snow and fog, I can't see at all.

In fact, we scrubbed our trip to Aspen due to - get this - too much snow. Yeah, we're wimps.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Josie: I don't think we're going to be recreating any scenes from "9 1/2 Weeks" tonight. By 7:00 tonight, I was already in my comfy flannel PJs and Pete was wearing sweatpants. Hiking mountains is hard work and my muscles hurt like hell.

richgold said...

Ah, but there's always tomorrow. You did say they're away for two whole days ...

Though, for me, even without a mountain in my recent past (or later past), two days without kids means in bed by 10!

Which reminds me of a survey that went around a few years ago:

What's the number one thing a guy wants to do in bed? Recreate a scene from 9 1/2 weeks.

What's the number one thing a gal wants to do in bed? Sleep! ;-)

Mrs. G. said...

Maybe it's time to climb up Mt. Pete...forgive me, I just couldn't resist.

Linda and her Surroundings said...

Hiking during the day should always be followed by a hot shower, warm pj's and a glass of wine.

I hope you enjoy those two days of peace. But I am so sure you will start to miss them both very soon.

Flutterby said...

Ok... I will leave my Rockies out of it. *snicker*

blackbird said...

why? WHY IS SHE GRANDMA ASS?

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Bb: See my March 7, 2007 entry. (Don't know how to put the link here.)