Tuesday, December 04, 2007

One day, she'll be a mother too

This morning, as is the norm, Elegant was a bit s-l-o-w to get ready.

So many decisions that needed to be made, such as WHICH pink dress to wear today and WHICH flowery leggings for warmth under the pink dress and WHICH pink socks and WHICH pink sweater?

My god, the choices, they are so difficult.

Then, El's hair had to be styled. We have recently pulled out the Christmas hair thingies, which led to another agonizing decision. Christmas trees or angels or Santas? Ultimately, she went with two (not matching) Christmas tree rubber bands to create two water spouts. Given how short her sassy little bob is now, the two waterspouts were essentially devil horns. Appropriate.

And then after all that, it was on to the shoes. Which ones? The blue suede boots? The pink sneakers? No, today it was the purple mary janes.

When I am exasperated or frustrated or trying to make a point, I will call Elegant by her real first name and not her nickname. If she's really not toeing the line, I'll go with first and middle names. Today, I had to use first, middle, and last names -- each syllable very clearly enunciated: ELEANOR MEREDITH B----!

THAT got her attention. For about a nanosecond.

Time was ticking. We really needed to get out the door.

As Elegant made the difficult decision about WHICH pink Hello Kitty gloves to wear, I grabbed her coat and got it on her body. I zipped it halfway and then reached for a scarf to keep her neck warm.

As I started impatiently wrapping the scarf around the girl's neck, Pete looked at me and said, "Don't pull it too tight even though I know you want to."

12 comments:

The Guider said...

Wow. Never thought I'd be grateful my daughter would happily wear the same tennis tracksuit bottoms and dri-weave t-shirt every non-school day till we peel them from her reeking body.

Josie said...

LOL. Love Pete's comment and insight :)
Do not miss the days of helping WB get ready. Although, I did tell him he looked like a refugee last night......

smalltownmom said...

Love your husband's comment.

My boys don't care what they wear (I do wish they would change their boxers more frequently), but the younger one can get distracted by the morning activities. Petting the cat takes longer and longer every day.

Lisa@Take90West said...

that sounds like a man who knows you well!

clemsongirlandthecoach said...

Pete rocks.

Kristin said...

Ha! Preaching to the choir!

Sue said...

Ha! Your daughter sounds like my daughter but with more clothes. :>

Mrs. G. said...

Pete is an astute and very funny man. Decisions, decisions.

countrymouse said...

And you've just illustrated the most compelling argument for having TWO parents--so nobody gets hurt ; )

Family Adventure said...

LOL! At least you've got a husband with a good sense of humour.

But you know I feel and share your pain...!!

Heidi :)

hello darling (formerly hello sunshine!) said...

Ooooo, the middle name... to this day, whenever I hear all three of my first/middle names together, it sends chills up my spine because I can hear my mother's voice saying it in THAT tone. Yeesh.

Mooselet said...

This is why I love school uniforms. No arguments, no drama (except for when Miss Thing wouldn't wear the required shoes, but a couple of detentions sorted her out) just put the thing on and off we go.