Saturday, November 24, 2007

The tooth fairy cometh

Graceful had to have a baby tooth pulled on Wednesday. The orthodontist had recommended it back in September, which meant that Graceful worried and worried and worried and worried about it for weeks. It turned out to be much easier than we had anticipated; after about 25 minutes of prepping Graceful, the dentist reached into her mouth and had the tooth out in about 30 seconds.

Instead of having Olivia Whitetooth, Graceful's Personal Tooth Fairy, come on Wednesday, Graceful opted to wait so that she could share her gruesome souvenir with her relatives on Thanksgiving. Then we got home so late on Thursday that Graceful forgot to leave her tooth out for Olivia. Finally, last night everything came together and Olivia popped by for a visit. She left Graceful $5 instead of her usual $1 to reflect Graceful's bravery on Wednesday. She also left a letter:

Dear Graceful,

So you’ve lost another tooth and in such a brave way. Congratulations on being so courageous when the dentist pulled your tooth!

My goodness, it has been quite some time since I visited you – about 10 months in fact. 2007 has been a busy year for me. I have a number of new children to visit, plus I was able to take some nice vacations.

For Spring Break, I visited my Aunt Cuspid, who has retired and now lives in Florida near Dentala Beach. I had a very nice time surfing, building sand castles, and going for long walks along the water. Aunt Cuspid and I also played bingo and shuffleboard with some of the other retired fairies.

In September, I went to Australia to visit my friend Polly Mintybreath. While it was early fall here in the U.S., it was early spring Down Under. Polly lives in Sydney, and we spent a few days touring. We saw the opera “Toothca” at the Sydney Opera House and it was just wonderful. After we left Sydney, we went to the Great Barrier Reef and went snorkeling. The water was so clear and farm and we saw hundreds of fish. Then we went to the Outback and saw Uluru, which used to be known as Ayres Rock. I loved Australia and hope you have the chance to visit some time.

Keep taking such good care of your teeth. They’re so nice and white and I want them to stay that way.

Love, Olivia Whitetooth, your Tooth Fairy


6 comments:

The Guider said...

Oh I've missed Olivia! You are really creative Jen, I don't know how you do it. Oh that sounds snarky, I did mean it, honestly!

smalltownmom said...

Jen, the tooth fairy letters are fabulous! I went back and read your other tooth fairy posts. Your daughters will love to have those letters when they are older. When I was a kid, one of my dolls used to leave bizarre poems in my lunch. I still have them.

hello darling (formerly hello sunshine!) said...

Um, that letter? Was REALLY cute!

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Guider: No worries. I understand. I know no snark was intended. And I seriously don't know how I come up with them either.

SmallTownMom: Thanks! The girls keep their letters in notebooks and re-read them on occasion.

Melissa said...

Oh sweet! The tooth fairy has left letters for my son, too. I thought we were the only ones who did such stuff these days. Yea for you!

Flutterby said...

Dentists just really tick me off sometimes... especially the pediatric dentist we used to take the kids to. He wasn't exactly cheap but when i realized *us* paying such high fees were covering his losses for all the medicaid or medicare... whatever.. people he worked on, I am ashamed to say it ticked me off even more. So we started taking the kids to the same hub and I use. Pulling teeth? grr.. we sat there waiting for over an hour one day to get two pulled for Gadget. And I swear it took a whole 2 fucking minutes from start to finish.