Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Then and Now (and the promised details on the Police)

There's a big difference between going to a concert when one is a teenager and when one is a wife-with-two-children.

When I was 14, I saw Duran Duran in concert. My ticket was about $17 + a service fee of about $2. I think I spent another $15 on a t-shirt.

Last night I saw the Police in concert. Our tickets totaled more than our weekly grocery budget, plus our baby sitter moved up to a new tax bracket after we paid her.

Back then, I went with my girlfriends and one of our mothers drove us.

Last night, my date was my husband, but before we could leave I had to go pick up the babysitter.

Back then, I spent a lot of time agonizing over my outfit and wondering if it was cute enough.

Last night, I made sure that my shoes were super comfortable and that my jeans were loose enough to allow me to carry stuff in my pockets.

Back then, I wore lavender eye shadow because it made my eyes look greener. (Hey, it was the '80s, so cut me some slack.)

Last night, I wore my glasses so that I could see which moving blur was Sting.

But some things don't change and that is my appreciation for fine British musicians.

So how was last night's concert? In a word, excellent.

In more words, oh my god it was the most amazing thing ever Sting just fucking rocks and is just as hot as ever so I don't care if he doesn't wear deodorant just as long as he keeps going on tour so that I can pay lots of money to see him perform.

So yeah, it was great.

But let me back up a bit and give you a more complete picture of the evening.

First off, we went with our friends Rich and Melissa, who is the other half of the Dynamic Duo of Shoe Shopping. We ended up tailgating with some other folks and having a great time. Beer makes standing in 40 degree weather worth it, at least to some people. For me, chocolate is a good reason to stand in any weather.

We went inside a bit late and had missed part of the opening act, which was Fiction Plane, aka "Sting's Son's Band." Oh no, I'm sure nepotism had nothing to do with that booking. Here's my assessment of Fiction Plane: loud. Loud and enthusiastic. Oh, and Sting's son, aka Joe Sumner, likes to do the big "bassist jumping off the speakers" move, which I predicted as soon as I laid eyes on him.

So, then there was a short break and then the Police came on stage and started with "Message in a Bottle."

The very first thing Melissa and I noticed -- and believe me, you would have too -- was that Sting's pants were well, um, rather snug. All over. Like, as tight as leggings. Like, possibly cutting off his circulation in vital areas. Like, no tantric sex for Trudy tonight. But damn could the man move in them tight pants. So, no complaints from me.

So there was lots of screaming and hooting and hollering and redneck yells that have rubbed my throat raw. There wasn't as much dancing as I had planned because we were in the Lower Nosebleed seats and I was feeling a bit vertiginous, so I kept my butt safely planted in the seat.

Jennifer, I did some rock horns just for you!

Mrs. G., I wasn't able to give Sting a big wet kiss from you, but I thought it, so does that count? Maybe he can be one of your secret boyfriends.

The women sitting in front of us were not so inclined to stay seated, which they should have, as their dancing was the source of much amusement and mirth for us and some of the people behind us. One women danced as though she was having a seizure, which is really the only way I can describe it. The other one appeared to have rigor mortis, as her joints just didn't really bend much at all. She just sort of, I don't know, swayed.

The music itself was amazing. All the best stuff. There wasn't a song I didn't know. And the guys played extended versions of most of them. There were guitar solos and outstanding percussion. And then there was an encore of three songs. And then another encore with just one song. So, about two hours of non-stop music.

And then it was over and the lights came on and we left.

My ears are still ringing.

16 comments:

Aims said...

Ah awesome! Glad you had so much fun. I've got 2 months till I see them....hopefully the pants don't cause sustaining damage!

Family Adventure said...

Sting *and* chocolate.

Amen, sister.

Heidi

The Guider said...

I am glad you had a great time, I was thinking about you.

Last gig I saw was Franz Ferdinand, I am toying with going to see Harry Connick Jr a week on Saturday, I do love the man but I haven't seen him since I was 19 and that was such a fab concert I don't want to diminish the memory if I don't enjoy myself as much this time...

Also, last time I went with my friend EJ and we dreamed about how we were going to marry him (didn't work out the logistics of how we would both do this). This time I'd be going with the man I did marry.

Linda and her Surroundings said...

Sounds like it was worth every cent. Funny the changes in concert going as the years have passed.

Jennifer said...

Woot!

Sounds amazing. Like one of those "priceless" commercials. I'm so glad for you!

And even more glad that you didn't have to wear the lavendar eye shadow this time around. ;-)

jenny said...

Sounds like a GREAT time. I always remember when some one is coming in concert after they've been on the news with a story about how quick the show sold out or how expensive the tickets were. Gah!

Glad you had fun. And if you hear anything about Duran Duran's reunion tour...

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Jenny: I promise I'll let you know about Duran Duran's next US tour, because I have Pete's promise (pinky swear) that we'll be going AND getting the best seats we can get. (And if we can't afford braces for the girls in the process, oh well...)

Josie said...

Oh the pants. I ahve very fond memories of seeing Sting in those pants in the summer.
Glad you had an awesome time :)

I am patiently counting down the days till I get to see Bon Jovi on the 6th of December...

The Hotfessional said...

Been wondering about that tantric stuff.

Glad you had fun, and got to ogle the bits, too!

Lela said...

Sounds like you had a blast!

Flutterby said...

Message in a Bottle is my kids favorite Guitar Hero song to play. Tight pants huh... hmmm..

Mooselet said...

When I saw Duran Duran back in 1984-85 (can't really remember, just that I was a sophomore in high school) I wore the fedora style of hat that John Taylor used to wear back then. And blue eyeliner. Weren't the 80s great?

Now every time I hear a Police song I will picture Sting in super tight pants.

smalltownmom said...

Mmmm, tight pants. I don't think I'd even mind his body odor! I can't believe I missed out on the Police.

But I did see Bruce last week. He still looked pretty good in his jeans.

To the guider -- get your Harry Connick tickets! I saw him in May for my birthday; you won't be disappointed.

Mrs. G. said...

"Last night, I wore my glasses so that I could see which moving blur was Sting."

You absolutely make me laugh every time I come over here. I know you worked those glasses and those comfortable shoes. Meow.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Hot: Supposedly, the tantric stuff was a dinner party joke that got blown out of proportion, so who knows?

Mooselet: That was the same tour I saw and I can still remember so much about the concert, including the opening song and even what I wore. And, oh yes, we all had fedoras just like John.

Mrs. G.: It's the truth, really. I must wear them in order to see well at the arena. And, just before we went to our seats, my friend Melissa straightened out my glasses, which are almost always crooked, but I can't be bothered to care. Oh, and they're are cat-eye horned-rims.

MizMell said...

Maybe that woman if front of you belonged to the "dance like no one is watching" club.