Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Only one more day until the long weekend...

Elegant was a bit, um, difficult this morning during that final push to get everyone dressed and out the door. Much cajoling was necessary and finally I explained just exactly what would happen if she didn't get her ass in gear.

(No need to call Social Services, no children were harmed this morning, not even that she-devil who occasionally inhabits my seven-year-old's body.)

First Elegant didn't want to get dress and spent some time "thinking" (daydreaming) instead of choosing a dress. Then she didn't want to brush her teeth and, when she did, was missing more teeth than she was hitting.

I walked into the bathroom and, in a my best drill sergeant's voice barked, "Brush your teeth now!"

Elegant responded, "You're not the boss of me."

Me, "Um, actually El, I am."

Some discussion followed, during which Elegant tried to ascertain exactly whom I am the boss of. She found it difficult to believe that Pete would be on that list, but I assured her that he is. Maybe not all of the time, but definitely part of the time.

I wonder if he knows that.

7 comments:

Josie said...

"You're not the boss of me?" Love that girl. Absolutely love her:)

And I am sure Pette is well aware of who the boss is or at least he should be by now.

Sue said...

My daughter always seems so surprised when I remind her that I am, in fact, the boss of her. We have the same conversations about her dad too. Kids. Gotta love 'em. Or ship 'em off to boarding school. One or the other.

smalltownmom said...

All hail Jen!

Mrs. G. said...

I've been reading your blog long enough to suspect that Pete knows you are the sometime boss of him. I must say I like El's pluck. It's so much easier to appreciate in someone else's child.

Rebecca said...

Very cute - though i can imagine you didn't see it that way!

Badness Jones said...

Princess had a friend over the other day and she was bossing him around. His mom laughed so hard tea shot out her nose when she heard me discipline the girl thus: "honey, if you marry him, you can be the boss of him. But until then, you will just have to take turns...."

Linda and her Surroundings said...

Oh, it is hard learning ones level in the pecking order.