Wednesday, November 14, 2007

It seemed like a good idea at the time

Memo to Self:

Self, when you are cutting your younger daughter's hair, remember that she does not sit still. Ever. Even when she thinks she's being still, she's not.

Self, when you are cutting your wiggly daughter's hair, be conservative with those cuts.

Self, just because the wiggly younger daughter said she wants her hair to be "really really short" does not mean that you should listen or even pay attention.

Self, you were smart to ignore the girl when she asked that you cut her hair "in zigzags." That may have been the only smart thing you did during this entire incident.

Self, next time cut the girl's hair BEFORE her shower, not after.

Self, you really lucked out on this one. Somehow, you managed to do the deed and get everything even and looking pretty darn good. It helps that the child in question has very thick, slightly wavy hair with lots of body. Next time, just take the girl to a salon and let them do the job.

Look who's rocking the "Posh Spice -- Summer '07" look:


After the haircut was finished, Elegant looked in the mirror and said, "It's not short enough, but I still like it."

19 comments:

Professor J said...

You are a brave, brave woman.

TX Poppet said...

How cute is that! I offered to cut my kids hair, but for some reason when they saw me brandishing the buzz clippers they ran away.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Professor J: No, I'm a stupid, stupid woman who acts rashly.

TX: Oh I had the clippers out. El LOVES when I use them on her. That's how I got the back all trimmed up, plus I had to shave some hairs off her neck.

Peggy Sez.. said...

I think it looks very Posh! Nothing but boys here..All I hear from them is "Put the scissors down lady and nobody gets hurt" and/or " Oh look is that J.Depp?" as they run away.

Sue said...

Very cute! I would be petrified to touch my daughter's hair. My husband once shaved my sons head and I almost killed him.

Suzanne said...

I can't even trim my daughter's bangs, so off we go to the hairdresser's for that.

I kinda like your daughter's haircut -- it's very cool in a retro-80s kind of way.

The Hotfessional said...

I love the haircut. I wish I could get that haircut, but the back of my neck? meh. Not viewable.

Lela said...

It's not short enough? Rofl!

Lisa@Take90West said...

I can't believe you did that! It looks great. I cannot even cut bangs straight.

The Guider said...

Love the haircut - I have a pic to email you that will seem eerily familiar...

jennster said...

LOL0 this is hilarious, but the cut looks GOOD!!!!!

Lori Anderson Designs said...

I'm pretty darned impressed! I just had to cut around Zack's ears (his curls are growing out a little, so just did the ears) and I was stressing.

hello darling (formerly hello sunshine!) said...

Oh cute!! Sadly, none of my at-home haircuts are that cute ;)

Mooselet said...

After all that I was expecting a hack job but that came out very nicely.

I leave notes to myself all the time. Too bad I forget to read them.

Hope said...

I think it looks great!

Linda and her Surroundings said...

My mother used to cut my hair. I have never forgiven her for the first six years of my life looking like a pumpkin head. She used cellotape across my fringe as a guide for keeping it straight...

You are so game cutting hair. Although, Elegant's hair is straighter than mine so it appears to have fallen nicely.

Salon. The only way to go.

Aims said...

Hey I think it looks awesome! She looks very grown up and what lovely healthy thick hair she has. LUCKY!

Happy Working Mom said...

My mom used to cut our hair and I vowed I would never put my kids through that! And it helps my sister-in-law is a fantastic stylist!

But you did a great job! So you saved money and can now add "hair styling" to your resume!

Josie said...

You're a lot braver than I. I tried cutting WB's bangs once and ever since....not allowed anywhere near him with scissors.