Friday, November 16, 2007

I love you guys!

Wow people! You are truly fabulous e-friends. You know that, right? I've gotten so many supportive comments about my decision to join Weight Watchers and I can't tell you much I appreciate everything y'all have said.

A little more info about what I'm doing: I signed up for the online program because that's what works best for me. I am tracking everything on their website and loving it. Everything I eat and drink -- and the associated points -- is all there for me to see, as well as my weight, my exercise, and even if I've taken my vitamin.

A few of you -- GML Family, Sue, and Melissa -- have said you want to lose weight too and have suggested that we do this together. I'm in, of course, and fully believe in the power of the shared experience. Any thoughts on how we can do this?

Yesterday when I was talking about how I'm paying verra verra close attention to every bite of good that goes into my mouth, I didn't talk about the other part of the equation, which is exercise.

My preferred form of exercise is walking. I do not bike or run or do aerobics. I walk. When Pete and I were first married we started going on long walks in the evenings and on the weekends. At the time, I was doing it because it was a fun thing to do with Pete. It wasn't something I did for my health -- I was still pretty trim and foolishly didn't think I'd ever need to worry about my weight. There were plenty of times I didn't want to walk and would bitch and moan when Pete would suggest that we go out. Only after Graceful was born did I finally see the light. We bought a jogging stroller and logged countless hours walking while pushing our wee baby and talking, talking, talking. (Hey, do what you know, is what I say.) When I was pregnant with Elegant, I kept up the exercise until an hour or two before we left for the hospital and picked it up again just a few days later. I've kept up with the walking since then, with the exception of a three month period a few years ago when I had an injured Achilles tendon and had to spend the summer in physical therapy.

I did try swimming a couple of years ago and actually signed up for "The English Channel Challenge" -- swimming the equivalent of the distance from Dover to Calais, which is a distance of 26+ plus miles (756 laps). It took me 13 months, but I did it, and then I stopped. I swim at our municipal pool and unfortunately the pool's lap swim hours aren't convenient for my schedule right now. Plus, honestly, my bathing suits don't even fit at this point. I haven't decided if I'm going to pick up swimming again, but right now I'm tentatively planning to do so at some point in early 2008. I'll just have to fit it into my schedule somehow.

My sister runs and our sister-in-law has started. In fact, my SIL ran an 8K (almost five miles) recently and I'm proud as hell of her. Because that? Is something I simply cannot envision doing. But, inspired by her her, I'm trying to add short bursts of running into my walks.

After I walked the girls to school, I went on a brisk walk through the neighborhood and my total distance was a hair under three miles. It felt great and I'm excited to go even further tomorrow.

And that's all I have for right now. The third grade is holding their Olympics in a short while and I need to put together food for the Greco-Roman feast afterward.

Thanks again for your great comments and support!

13 comments:

Grace Ellen said...

I will tell you what worked for me in terms of walking/running a couple months ago. I got a pedometer and sort of competed against others at school. You know I've hardly got a competitive bone in my body, but it worked for me-when I wasn't sick or on painkillers or taking care of a sick child. If you go to presidentschallenge.org, you can even set up a group to do it. You just go in and log your steps each day. When other people have logged their info, you can also compare. I liked the days (which were quite often) when my steps were the highest. It was great for me, unfortunately we are not doing it anymore.

Sue said...

I'm think I'm going to start a group blog for anyone who wants to talk weight loss. If you are interested in being a co-blogger, let me know - you would need to be willing to post once a week, and would need to link it from your regular blog. Then we can all comment there and obsess about our weight loss without making our regular readers eyes glaze over, you know? (If anyone wants to participate, email me at suelikestoblogandwastetime at gmail dot com.)

I will probably do WW online too - it's worked for me in the past and satisfies my OCD list making nature.

I like to walk, bike and rollerblade. I don't know how much longer rollerblading will be possible - soon there will be too much ice and snow probably.

I was talking to another blogger about - walking a 5K or a half marathon or even a marathon at some point. I jsut can't run - my chest just really makes it difficult, no matter how many bras I try to strap on. :>

Sue said...

(I just posted about it on my regulah bloggity blog.)

Josie said...

I'm all about the walking.
I'm not a fan of the gym or jogging and tend to walk as much as possible. Best exercise:)

Hope you had fun at the Grade 3 Olympics!!

Badness Jones said...

You're inspiring me....I think I'm going to check out the weight watchers online....I looked up the meetings and they're all at times or places I know I'll make excuses to miss. You're going to do amazing!

Family Adventure said...

I just started running this year, and it's really not that hard. I had never, ever run before, and I started around New Year's...by May, I ran a 10K race in under an hour, which is pretty respectable for a newbie.

I'm telling you this because if you want to - you 'can' do it! If so, start by running 1 minute at a time, and work your way up. 1 minute run and 1 minute walk for 10minutes. Next week 2 minute run 1 minute walk, etc.

But - if you are not enjoying running, then power walking is just as good, and not as hard on the joints.

Good luck :)

Heidi

Linda and her Surroundings said...

A good brisk daily walk is good. The other thing is to have some hand weights hiding somewhere. Extra muscle burns extra calories.

I sometimes run when walking is not enough.

Any form of exercise is good.

hello darling (formerly hello sunshine!) said...

I personally like workout tapes - I love feeling like I'm not really working out :) I also LOVE WW! I did it with just the books, no meetings or anything a couple of years ago and lost 20 lbs in two months - because I was going from eating dorm food every day to actually eating right, and I did a 30-minute Taebo tape thirty minutes a week.

At the moment, I'm the size I was when I lost the weight, but I definitely want to lose more than this, so I'm all for a group weight loss... thinger!!

Mrs. G. said...

I'm with Grace Ellen. I love my pedometer. It keeps me righteous. Ride this wave of enthusiasm.

Jennifer said...

I'm a little behind the times here, but let me add to the chorus. WW is absolutely golden. It worked for me, and is the only program out there that I know of that operates on common sense. It's not a diet, it's a way of life. It's not carrot sticks and celery, it's real life food that you re-learn to eat in a healthy way.

And best of all, it's support and accountability.

Those things combined helped me be a success story, and I have every faith in you, too.

Jennifer said...

P.S. I went to the meetings and also used every online tool available. The site is a true motivator and was so much easier for me to use than writing things down. The recipe converter is AMAZING. I highly recommend subscribing to the site and tools if you can.

Lori Anderson Designs said...

Good for you! I'm glad to be back in the gym again, too. WW Online sounds cool -- I need to check that out.

MizMell said...

I've been trying to reacquaint myself with the Bowflex...

Exercise is good, I know. I even feel better when I exercise, so what's the deal?