Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Educating my girls about classic rock

In anticipation of tonight's concert (see below if you haven't read my earlier post), we're listening only to the Police here in Jenworld today. The girls are not in school because of the teacher work day, so they're listening to the Police too, whether they like it or not. I consider this to be a vital part of their educations.

Graceful is working on a project in the living room and listening, really listening, to the lyrics.

"Don't Stand So Close to Me" came on. In case it's been a while since you heard the song or you've forgotten what it's about, here are the lyrics:

Young teacher, the subject
Of schoolgirl fantasy
She wants him so badly
Knows what she wants to be
Inside her there's longing
This girl's an open page
Book marking - she's so close now
This girl is half his age

Don't stand, don't stand so
Don't stand so close to me

Her friends are so jealous
You know how bad girls get
Sometimes it's not so easy
To be the teacher's pet
Temptation, frustration
So bad it makes him cry
Wet bus stop, she's waiting
His car is warm and dry

Don't stand, don't stand so
Don't stand so close to me

Loose talk in the classroom
To hurt they try and try
Strong words in the staffroom
The accusations fly
It's no use, he sees her
He starts to shake and cough
Just like the old man in
That book by Nabakov

Don't stand, don't stand so
Don't stand so close to me

Don't stand, don't stand so
Don't stand so close to me

Luckily, Graceful doesn't actually understand what's going on in the song. That said, she just asked, "Mommy why doesn't that man want anyone to stand too close to him?"

Um....

Because he doesn't wear deodorant and smells like a pig?

16 comments:

The Guider said...

Have a great time, and don't forget, if you love someone, set them free!

Laura/DaPFG said...

dude. the Police ROCKED when i saw them in July. so much so that it greatly (but not entirely) lessened the pain of the over-priced tickets. at least i bought them several months in advance of the concert, so it wasn't TOO painful on the day of.

lol. i'm rambling, but have fun tonight!!

(p.s. got here from Badge, if you were wondering, which i'm sure you were :P)

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Guider: Pete just said that to me this morning when I was musing about running off with Sting!

Laura: Welcome and thanks for stopping by. I know, the tickets were RIDICULOUS, but things in life are just worth it. And, if my girls have to miss a semester of college because of it, that's just life.

Lela said...

It always makes me laugh when my kids pick random lines from songs to focus on.

Family Adventure said...

LOL. The lyrics. We sing along, loudly and then our kids will REALLY listen and we go "sh&t...that's so no appropriate!" Happens ALL THE TIME in our house.

Rock on!

Heidi

Josie said...

You will have a blast:) I saw them when they came to Toronto in the summer and loved every minute of it.
Can not wait to hear all about tomorrow.

Kristin said...

Oh how I love The Police! Have a great time tonight!!

Flutterby said...

Because he smells like the pothead we came across in the Dollar Tree today? OMG!!! I could not believe someone can NOT KNOW they REEK of MARIJUANA!! I was SO wishing a drug dog would come trotting through the store...

Mrs. G. said...

I am sooo jealous. Have a blast and please give Sting a big wet kiss from me. I can't wait to hear what your kids ask about Roxanne.

countrymouse said...

I am unbearably jealous!!!!!

I hope you report on the experience before you have a chance to come down off the Police high--I want the unedited details : )

Kathleen said...

Just discovered your blog through a comment at Linda and her surroundings. Glad I did! I too am an anglophile. Although my heritage is Irish, my father's family of 12 all left Ireland (except one of them) and moved to England. I was raised on British tv, studied British Victorian Lit in Uni and read British mysteries.

Check out my blog at www.hyggedigter.blogspot.com for some unique rhyming verse...not your usual stuff.

Poetikat

P.S. I am also a huge fan of Coronation Street and EastEnders.

Sue said...

Oh, I am going to have that song in my head for days now. I loved the Police. Awesome. Hope you have a fantastic time!

Suzanne said...

My friend Carol saw them (and loved it!) when they were here in June. The night of my date with SFL, as a matter of fact.

I know this because he went to see them the next night. When I asked him the following day how the concert was, he replied "Very nice."

My response?

"Nice?? Did you see the Police or Pat Boone?"

And that's why the boys lurve me.

Have a Jentacular time!

Mooselet said...

Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood came on the radio the other day and never was I so glad that Her Majesty is only 4 and didn't understand a word.

Linda and her Surroundings said...

My son sings that rap kind of song that has the words "Take you to the candy shop, let you lick my lollipop". I tell him not to sing it as it has a bad tune.

Mom on the Run said...

Guitar Hero is the greatest video game ever invented because now we all listen to the same radio station.

Somebody offered us their Police tickets but...it was a school night.