Thursday, November 08, 2007

Dumpalooza, part 2

Two seemingly unrelated bits of trivia:
  1. As I've discussed here, I work from home. I answer directly to two groups of volunteers: the officers of the collegiate choral group I work for and the officers of that group's alumni association. We have an all-group meeting about once a month, usually around 8 p.m., as that's the time that works best for everyone. They're all men, every last one of them. Take note of that.
  2. As I discussed here back in August, Graceful has constipation issues. We're still doing what the doctor recommended last summer, but in the past three months, we've only seen marginal improvement. I'm still tracking her output, which means that she announces to us loudly when she has just gone. Loudly. Make note of that.
Last night I had one of my monthly nighttime phone calls. When those occur, I go down to my office in the basement and close my door. Pete's the parent in charge and, unless someone's eyeball actually pops out of her head or her arm needs to be reattached, I'm not to be disturbed.

Graceful apparently forgot the ban on communicating with me while I'm on a work call. As I was participating in the group phone call, I could hear Graceful upstairs. She was stomping around and proclaiming something loudly, but I couldn't hear what it was and figured Pete would handle it.

As it turns out, Pete was up on the top floor helping Elegant with her shower. Graceful, not immediately finding an adult to report whatever it was that she needed to say, opted to come downstairs to where I was, instead of going upstairs to where Pete was.

So as I sat there listening to one of my colleagues talking, Graceful burst into my office and very loudly announced, "MOMMY, I WENT POOP!!!!"

11 comments:

Melissa said...

Thank you for the belly laugh this morning. Love your blog, love the stories about your daughters, love your humor!!!

erin said...

Ha! What was the reaction of the men on the call? Complete silence and then laughter or did they ignore it entirely?

The Hotfessional said...

But of course she did! And did the men all have the balls to congratulate her as my co-workers would have?

Family Adventure said...

Classic! I'm sure all the men on your call appreciated that one :)

Heidi

MizMell said...

Get than girl some prune juice. She needs to be a regular girl, for sure.

Happy Working Mom said...

How completely mortifying!

I feel your pain on dealing with the whole issue though...it's really starting to wear me down.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

All: Luckily, no one heard Graceful when she made her announcement, so my pride is safe. Well, except that I've now shared my mortification with the blogosphere.

hello darling (formerly hello sunshine!) said...

I AM DYING OVER HERE. Dying laughing, obvs.

countrymouse said...

I'm laughing just as hard trying to figure out how you know nobody heard your daughter as I did reading the post. I have an image of you sheepishly asking, "Did anyone hear my daughter announcing she just went poop?"

Being a mom is just so dang humbling : )

Linda and her Surroundings said...

Ha ha, they are so indiscreet aren't they.

Tracking her output - hmmm, sounds like a hunter searching for elephant dung or something.

Peggy Sez.. said...

You mean this is NOT a general announcement in everyones household? (Its a one woman show at my house..one women and one and a half men)