Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Nocturnal creatures

2:04 a.m. -- Elegant wakes me up with a whispered request. I mumble a sleepy response and send her on her way. It is accepted protocol in Jenworld that I do not get out of bed at night for anything less than a sick child, one who has wet her bed, or one who is seriously scared. Otherwise, long after the child in question is asleep again, I'll be awake for a minimum of two hours. Sleep is necessary for mothers and, at times, a precious commodity.

2:08 a.m. -- I get up and walk across the hall to tell Elegant that she may not read in the middle of the night. I tuck her in and kiss her.

2:43 a.m. -- I am downstairs in front of the computer, emailing one of my brothers.

Who needs sleep?

[Updated at 7:54 a.m.: And ... we seriously overslept this morning because I am the family alarm clock.]

3 comments:

MizMell said...

I find that I need sleep during Math class, especially.

When I wake up at star at the clock at it says 2:30 or 3:00 am, I FORCE myself to lay still in an effort to go back to sleep. I base that on the fact that studies say we need 8 to 9 hours of sleep. I usually operate fine on 4 to 6 and it worries me...

Linda and her Surroundings said...

Hmmmm, that explains being out of bed at 3.19am. Makes for a witchy temper in the morning.

Daddy Dan said...

I know how you feel. If I'm the one to get up in the night if the baby's crying I have a hard time falling back to sleep. If I can fake being asleep when the baby's crying long enough for my wife to get up and I don't have to get out of bed I'm back to sleep before she gets to his room. =)