Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Music

I haven't talked much about music here and thought we'd discuss that today. Instead of telling you what we listen to here in Jenworld, I'm going to tell you what's in our various stereos and let you draw your own conclusions.

In the six disc changer in our car, we have:
  • Air
  • Franz Ferdinand
  • Chemical Brothers
  • Fountains of Wayne
  • the "Nancy Drew" soundtrack
  • some old Peter Gabriel
In the minivan (our secondary vehicle) we are listening to the Red Hot Chili Peppers' album "Stadium Arcadium."

In the stereo in our living room, we have Bach's Inventions and Sinfonias.

In the stereo down in my office, I have a mix CD done by an alumnus of the group I work for. He's very into dance music / rave / techno beats.

I have well over 1,000 songs on Q, including a few customized playlists. Here's a random sampling from my "rocker chicks" list:
  • Blondie - Call Me
  • The Go Go's - Head Over Heels
  • Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl
  • Jem - They
  • Pussycat Dolls - Buttons
  • Nancy Sinatra - These Boots are Made for Walkin'
  • Carly Simon - You're So Vain
  • kd lang - Constant Craving
  • Garbage - Stupid Girl
So, an eclectic list of music.

No opera, blue grass, or country, however, as I cannot abide those.

What about you? What do you listen to?

9 comments:

Flutterby said...

You would hate driving around with me then... or we would just have to have a *no music* agreement, lol. Cause I listen to country. But NO opera... ugh.. Classic too; and lots of movie sound tracks. We especially love the one from Planet of the Apes, Lord of the Rings, and The Last Samurai.

alison said...

I would drive around with you in the minivan. Or the car too, for that matter. I have around 250 songs on my mp3 player, a bit of everything from disco to rock and even a little bit of punk. No country though, or opera.

The disc getting the most play this week: Keane "Hopes and Fears." Not sure how to categorize it, except to say it's the kind of music that you might expect to hear in the background during an episode of Grey's Anatomy. And that's not a disparaging description either. I really like it.

Patience_Crabstick said...

I love reading what other people are listening to. I just resurrected my itunes library after it had to lie dormant for over a month due to computer issues. Right now, in my car I've got a mixed CD I made for running. It's got a mix of disco, alternative and classical. I've also been listening the CHS's orchestra CD "At Last."

Daddy Dan said...

My current top 5 are probably:

Jack Johnson
Feist
James Blunt
Bob Dylan
Death Cab for Cutie

....but I listen to almost everything and have many eclectic playlists on my ipod.

Suzanne said...

Ooh, I love love LOVE "Head over Heels" -- in fact, any Go-Go's song. And "Constant Craving" is one of my favorite songs ever.

I am in a music rut; there's little from the current century that I've bothered with. It just seems like so much work to find new artists. So I stick with stuff from the 80s and 90s. Sad.

Jennifer said...

Flutterby: I would drive around a car with you any day. I feel confident that we would talk so much that music would be wasted.

Alison: Disco? ABBA or the BeeGees? :-)

Patience: You have reminded me that I need to get that CHSO CD. The conductor is a friend, yet I've neglected to include her work in my listening.

Daddy Dan: I thought about adding Death Cab to my list today. They definitely get a lot of play in our house.

Suzanne: I too am big on the 80s. Luckily, my husband can listen to other people's iTunes at work, so he gets ideas of new artists to try, which has kept me from getting too deeply into a rut.

The Guider said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nejyerf said...

right now i'm listening to alison krauss and union station

i also like prodigy if i'm feeling belligerent

yo yo ma- Appalachian Journey - fisher's hornpipe is my favorite

not very inspired.

mostly i listen to books on tape. right now i'm finishing up violets are blue by james patterson

Linda and her Surroundings said...

I am not sure you would know this band, but they are called Midnight Oil and are the definitive Australian political 80's/90's band. Crowded House (a most melodic band from NZ) - they used to be called Split Enz. My son loves Weird Al Yankovic and my husband has loads of Jazz and Classical CD's. Anything from the 70's is welcomed in my car - Beatles (where do I stop?). Music - takes me to rich places for nothing. Fantastic