Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Jentacular Tuesday

Today you get random bits and pieces from my life:

The girls have been complaining mightily about walking to school this week. All because the temps are around 30 in the morning (that's -1 Celsius for the non-USA folks) and apparently that's just TOO DAMN COLD for my thin-blooded children. We haven't pulled out the heavy coats yet, but I have bundled the girls in fleece jackets and sweaters, so it's not like I've sent them to Everest Base Camp with only shorts and t-shirts. I'm sure Graceful and Elegant are going to grow up and tell their kids, "When I was a kid, I had to walk five miles to school in the freezing cold, without a heavy coat OR gloves..."

Elegant wore tights today for the first time since last winter. Apparently she's grown a lot because the crotch kept slipping to her knees, which we all know is quite uncomfortable, and meant that she spent a lot of time grabbing at herself as we walked this morning. I hope the teacher doesn't fuss at her for being obscene today. Time to get new tights.

Yesterday I finally got to meet a fellow blogger for the first time. Marijean lives near me, yet we somehow never crossed paths until we decided that a coffee visit was a must. I had so much fun that I want to take it on the road and meet each and every one of you. I could crisscross the U.S. and Canada in a Winnebago meeting all my favorite e-friends. (Of course that won't work for my e-friends in England, Australia, and New Zealand.) We'll call it "Jenworld -- Road Trip '07" and I could ask for chocolate companies to sponsor me.

Speaking of visits, Lori popped by my house for a quick surprise visit this weekend while she was in town. We hadn't seen each other in a few years, so it was great to see her and her husband. We email regularly and, when we do get to visit, it's like no time has passed at all. That's the kind of friend we all need in our lives.

I finally finished Elegant's R2D2 costume yesterday. I only stapled my finger once, which is a personal best for me.

Speaking of Halloween, I am ready for the onslaught of moochers trick-or-treaters. We have about a half ton of treats. I've learned that the secret to not eating it all in advance is to buy stuff that I don't like. I hope the neighbor kids like radishes and turnips.

The word of the day: jentacular (jen-TAK-yuh-luhr) adjective
1. relating to breakfast - "The Gentleman loved to hold that crackling rectangle in front of his face (folded, of course, into courteous fourths), loved the slant of the jentacular sun, the slightly acrid odor of the newsprint, the snappy headlines."
2. fabulosity relating to Jen - "Jen's latest blog entry was just jentacular."

Yeah, I totally made up that second part. 'Cause I'm sure no one noticed. Thanks to Suzanne for enriching my lexicon.

And finally, here's a photo of my hair color:


This is after I've washed my hair four times and have seen lots of brown go down the drain, so I'm making progress in the "the Hair God's going to kill me, so I need to wash some of this shit out" department. I have done an extreme close-up so that you can see how my hair is darker than my eyebrows. Yes, I know I could darken my eyebrows, but given my ineptitude with makeup, I'm sure I'd end up looking like Kelly Osbourne channeling Joan Crawford and that is NEVER good. Next thing you know, I'd be beating small children with coat hangers, so let's just nip that possibility in the bud.

And that concludes Tuesday's randomocity.

18 comments:

alison said...

I totally *love* jentacular. Hmmm, what can I have? Alisoneriffic? Alisontastic? They just don't have the same cachet.

It would be so cool if you could get the Winnebago thing happenin'. Call Cadbury's and get the funding started.

Please don't dye your eyebrows. Although the blog fodder that results could be quite amusing.

The Hotfessional said...

Well, there's no trace of the color left on your forehead, right?

I like the color. Really. I have no issues with lighter eyebrows, it's when they're darker that they really stand out ;-)

Hey, when Jenworld crosses into the Great Lakes State, you let me know! I'm sooooo up for meeting more bloggers. I have wine. And cheese.

The Guider said...

Well I think it should be the Jenworld World Tour!

What a Jentacular idea!

Jen

Kristin said...

Your hair color is jentacular and I wouldn't f*ck with the brows... they're jentastic.

Family Adventure said...

I, too, think your hair colour is jentacular.

And poor Elegant. I remember that feeling well.

Heidi

Aims said...

You do have naturally perfect eyebrows! Awesome! Definitely don't dye them...as an ex-beauty therapist it always just ends in tears....I had 2 woolly caterpillars above my eyes for weeks after a fellow trainee got dye-happy.

Marijean said...

And I loved meeting you, too! I think your hair looks great and I'm glad to now know what you look like for that inevitable time we'll bump into one another.

Flutterby said...

Of course you DID remember to tell your daughters that YOU had to walk 12 miles to school in knee deep snow wearing thin sneakers and socks with holes in them, with only a sweater your grandma knitted out of yarn she pulled out of her one and only blanket only to have to sit in an unheated classroom all day and THEN walk back home. And the temperature never got over 12 the whole day.

Mrs. G. said...

I'm with hotfessional...eyebrows are great. I think your hair looks fabulous. Love the idea of radishes and turnips.

Suzanne said...

Love the hair color! Jentacular indeed.

Suzanne said...

Kudos to Kristin on "jentastic"!!

(The proofreader in me hates the exclamation points outside of the quotation marks, but it just doesn't look right the correct way)

I may like "jentastic" even better than "jentacular," 'cuz it doesn't have any of the odd breakfast connotations.

And I like the haircolor, too.

countrymouse said...

So, just for the fun of it, I typed 'jentacular' into Merriam-Webster on-line. Merriam-Webster has some disagreement about that word. But it offered me several alternatives, including "geneitcal," "judgment call," "genital herpes," and "giant clam." Jen-freaking-tacular, if you asked me!

MizMell said...

Hair is looking fine.
Better get those new tights in a hurry. There's nothing worse than a sagging crotch.

Linda and her Surroundings said...

You need to get Elegant to wear another pair of undies OVER the tights to keep them up - my mother made me do that, thanks mum.

Hair looks good. You do have rather beautiful eyebrows. I am sure other people have told you that.

Happy Working Mom said...

The hair color is pretty...definitely darker than your eyebrows, but he, my hair is lighter than my eyebrows...I'd rather have it your way!

Love the road trip idea! And chocolate companies sponsoring? Brilliant!

jenny said...

I really like that hair color too, and am looking forward to the R2-D2 pictures...he's my favorite.

I'm here from Nablopomo but just realized I've been seeing you in blackbird's comments for quite awhile now too...

nice to "meet" you.

hello darling (formerly hello sunshine!) said...

With the haircolor - as someone who had dyed their hair approximately 150 times in nine years (seriously. For once, I'm not exaggerating), trust me on this one - it'll fade in about a week.

Don't dye your eyebrows, it'll be WAY too harsh. Use an eyebrow pencil a shade darker than your own and sketch lightly - that way it'll blend in your natural color with the darker color without looking too shocking - and if you mess up, you can swipe it off with makeup remover and start over :)

Can I claim "Tracetastic?"

Lori Anderson Designs said...

I actually like the hair color! It's probably shocking to you just because it's different.