Thursday, October 18, 2007

I need to pick your brains

So I have a little project for us all to collaborate on.

One of our PTO presidents just called and asked me to help her come up with a "Top 10 Reasons to attend the next PTO meeting" list. She's trying to boost attendance at the meetings, which are really quite informative, but only about 10% of the school's families are represented.

Some of my ideas include:
  1. Free gourmet chocolates/homemade cookies/Starbucks coffee.
  2. Be entered in a drawing to win [name of freaking awesome item]. Earn an entry for every meeting attended and then the drawing will be held at the last meeting of the year.
  3. Hear all the latest gossip! (Hell, that's the reason I attend.)
But! That's just not enough. What's a good incentive for getting people to attend the PTO meetings and be more involved and informed? So people, let's all put our wickedly smart and funny heads together and come up with an amazing list.

10 comments:

The Hotfessional said...

Anyone who's NOT there gets their name put in a hat to chair the next fundraising event?

(This sometimes works with business meetings!)

BrianD said...

Run it online (maybe in blog format) so everyone can contribute, polls can be taken, and so we can ignore all of the self-congratulatory bullshit in which most such organizations indulge. It also would allow everyone to access it at their own speed, on their own schedule, and wouldn't screw the people who have to work during the scheduled times. Just a thought...

Rebecca said...

Love the starbucks idea - that would have me joining!

Get a say in decisions affecting your kids is another one that might help. And I like the fundraising comment above!

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

BrianD: While I'd love for our school to have a blog that's more active than it currently is, I don't think we could run our meetings effectively that way. As it is, we have a very sleek, efficient PTO that doesn't spend a lot of time patting ourselves on the back. We get in there, meet, and get out the hell out. It works quite well and I only wish that other groups I'm involved with were so efficient. ;-)

Aims said...

Um. Free booze? Carkeys in a bowl?

Jennifer said...

I think I had a really great idea to add, but then I read: "car keys in a bowl?".

Can't.Breathe.

:-)

Lisa@Take90West said...

How about offering free child care?
That's the reason I got to our meetings...it's an hour of peace!
And I don't volunteer for a thing, I just sit in the back and read people.com on my phone and enjoy the free babysitting, so I probably am not the kind of crowd you're hoping to attract at your meeting!
But we do have huge attendance at our meetings, so the babysitting does work!

Lori Anderson Designs said...

Hey, if you consider jewelry freaking awesome, I'd donate!

Dano said...

you should advertise that attendance at pta meetings has been clinically shown to prevent your children from having ANY problems during adolescence and puberty.
unless that would backfire because no one wants to thing about the "a" and "p" words yet.

Linda and her Surroundings said...

Guilt. Make them feel guilty for not going. Guilt is a great motivator.....