Thursday, October 04, 2007

A day in the life

Back in the 1980s, there was a series of "A Day in the Life" books that took one day in the U.S. or Australia or Japan or whever and sent photographers all over that country to try to capture the essence of that country's personality.

I'm going to give you a similar snapshot of life in Jenworld, but without photos.

We get up and do all the usual stuff before school stuff: Breakfast, pack lunches, wrestle Elegant out of bed, check email, remind Elegant to eat, braid Graceful's hair, tell Elegant to get off the damn floor and get dressed, etc. We walk to school and drop the girls off around 8:25.

Pete and I get home. I shower and dress. He decides to work at home, so he takes up residence in the study on the first floor. I commute downstairs to my home office. We each play different kinds of music as we work. On short breaks, I throw in a load of laundry, soak beans for dinner, and check a few blogs. Okay, more than a few.

Before lunch, I leave for a rendezvous with Richard, the Hair God. I come home happy and not wanting to work, but I persevere and do what needs to be done. I also read a few more blogs.

I work until it's time to go to the bus stop, stopping for a few minutes in the kitchen to toss ingredients in the bread maker.

I get Graceful, Elegant, and one of Graceful's friends from the bus.

Snacks for the girls, empty backpacks, and lunch boxes, etc. Graceful and her friend get ready for soccer practice. They also take a few minutes to be mean to Elegant, which I deal with swiftly and with such a scary look in my eye that I wonder if Graceful's friend will ever play here again.

Soccer practice at the school. I use this time to get caught up with the other mothers and work on a knitting project.

Home again. Check work emails. Work on dinner in earnest. Supervise homework. Negotiate computer time with the girls.

Dinner.

Homework done, the girls get some time on the computer to play Webkinz, which I have discovered has the amazing ability to get the girls to do their homework quickly and efficiently, with a minimum of bitching. During this time, Pete and I read.

Bedtime. Showers for each girl, followed by reading time. Elegant is tucked in (in her own room) at 9:00 and Graceful 15 minutes later.

Silence reigns in the house, punctuated occasionally by a child complaining that she's not sleepy.

Pete works on the budget while I read. Then it's time to sleep until it all starts again the next day.

And we didn't even have to move Elegant back to her own room.

5 comments:

Happy Working Mom said...

I'm really, really jealous of you working from home! I wish I could do that...although, I don't think I would be as disciplined as you are!

Daddy Dan said...

I would love to work from home too.

Patience_Crabstick said...

That sounds like a nice day.

Josie said...

I'm not disciplined enough to work from home....too many distractions.

Sounds like a great day though

Linda and her Surroundings said...

If I worked from home I am not sure just how disciplined I would be.