Monday, October 01, 2007

Cussin'

So, I should probably address the topic of cussing here at my blog.

As you have probably noticed, I feel no qualms about using most of those words that are deemed offensive. It's how the thought processes work inside my brain and often helps me better express what I'm feeling.

That said, I realize that I probably offend some of you. Feel free to stop reading if it's more than you feel comfortable with, because I don't foresee any changes to my lexicon in the near future.

In case anyone's wondering, I do not cuss in front of my children, although I will drop a few under my breath on occasion. After all, I am the parent who once dropped the f-bomb in front of Ellie's preschool class when she was three. In my defense, however, one of the little monsters had just viciously kicked me and I said it quietly.

I do use some colorful expressions, including "Well, [name of jerk] can stand in line to kiss my big white ass." Elegant tried using that one once when she was four and I have since made a point to not say things like that in front of the girls.

Nor do I cuss in front of coworkers, neighbors, teachers, and the general populace. I was raised right, even if I don't always reflect that upbringing.

When I'm talking with just Pete, I cuss. A lot. I don't know why this is, but I do. Especially when I'm angry, which was a real whole lot last week.

Anyhoo, I just thought I'd address this. No one's complained, but I've had a large increase in readership recently and, as I was checking out the new people's blogs, I realized that there are a lot of church-goin' folks reading my stuff. I have no idea why, as I'm pretty sure I'm not on Joel Osteen's approved blogs list. So I figured I'd toss out this public service announcement now.

You've been warned. :-)

13 comments:

The Hotfessional said...

A woman after my own fucking heart. I knew I liked you!

Daddy Dan said...

Even though the latest post on my blog is about Joel Osteen, I don't mind your cussing at all.

Jennifer said...

Daddy Dan: I promise this entry isn't directed at you in particular. The Joel Osteen reference came as a result of something else I read recently.

Daddy Dan said...

Oh, I didn't think it was. I just thought it was funny you brought him up just after I posted about him.

Grace Ellen said...

I'm churchgoing-occasionally, would like to be more- and well, you've known me long enough to know how I talk. I'll have to tell you what I started doing after the baby was born. Your brother, for awhile, was telling me that I'd have to stop, now that we have a child, but I think he's given up that idea.

Tara said...

I cuss on my blog too, I figure it's "my" blog, don't like it, don't fucking read it!

TX Poppet said...

In every day life I swear like a sailor on shore leave. After all, I work in construction. I suppose I just don't think with swear words when I blog. Of course Twitter is a whole 'nother story... Oh and Jennifer? Just so you know, I sometimes have the same thoughts about new readers.

Lisa said...

I have been told on more than one occasion that I can cuss like a truck driver...so by all means, you are not offending me!
I try to go to church and set a good example for my kids, but I am pretty sure they hear me swearing daily. I try, though.
I have really cut back since I heard my son tell my neighbor, "I'm not allowed to say bullshit like my mom does."

Linda and her Surroundings said...

Swearing in front of kids is a no no - but the odd one has slipped out. I work with tradesmen - swearing is acceptable, but you have to use it at the right time for the best impact. Feels good to drop a clanger and I am never going to change my opinion on that one. I also think "cussing" is a cute word.

Jennifer said...

Linda,

Have you not heard the word "cussing"? What do you call it down in Oz?

Flutterby said...

Well you know I don't give a fucking rats hairy little ass what anyone thinks about the language *I* use on MY blog, lol. No, I don't talk that way in front of my kids... I only talk that way in the car. When there are no kids present. I don't know how I have managed so far not to slip up too badly. I did let an "Oh SHIT" escape once when my daughter and a friend were with me but the response was "Oh don't worry Mrs. Flutterby... my mom says worse things."

Kellan Rhodes said...

The only reason I don't cuss on my blog is I come from a long line of Baptists and my mom and my aunts are reading my blog daily and one of my aunts in West Virginia told my mom, "Tell Kellan to stop cussing." I had used the word "hell". I told my family I would refrain for their sake (I have a BIG family - I want them to read my stuff) - but occasionally I will say what I want - deal with it. At home - I'm a sailor too - always sayin, "God forgive for that-thar word thar," and then I go on my way until the next word comes out of my mouth. No offense taken here - nothin' I'm not saying myself - just not so much on my blog.

countrymouse said...

The last year and a half at our house has been unbearably stressful. Before that, I had spent 10 or 12 years trying *never* to swear--not even in my head. I can't begin to tell you what kind of emotional release it has been (not in front of the kids : ) to just let it all go.

In fact, I was so anxious and angry and in such pain when I started my blog that I almost named it "country mouse goes fucking crazy." But I couldn't *quite* do that : )