Friday, October 26, 2007

At least it's not OK!

I used to subscribe to People magazine. For years and years, it was my window to the world of celebrities. The mail carrier would deliver it on Saturday afternoons, which was my cue to flop on the sofa and read each page slowly and carefully, before drifting off into a lovely nap. Even my children knew not to disturb me during that time.

A few years ago, I realized that I wasn't enjoying the magazine as much as I used to. The articles were irritating and shallow. The celebrities were vapid. So I canceled my subscription, feeling smug that I had taken the higher road and would no longer be reading such a low-brow publication.

Then, I discovered Perez Hilton.

Forget about feeling smug. How about smutty? How about feeling the need to take a shower every time I pop over for a quick visit? Like, three times a day. Okay, maybe six. Fine -- ten!

I've tried breaking the habit. Really, I have. I don't have the site bookmarked anywhere, to slow me down and keep me from remembering that Perez Hilton exists. But I can't forget, no matter how hard I try. And I can't stop the cycle of cheap, shallow entertainment.

Perez Hilton, I wish I knew how to quit you.

8 comments:

The Hotfessional said...

I'm sooooo not going for the bait. No. No. No. I've never been to Perez Hilton and I'm sure as h-e-double-hockeysticks gonna start now. Uh uh.

Wait, I'll be right back.....

Damn you Jen!

alison said...

My secret addiction: Laniey. Calling all smuthounds indeed. I have no need to read magazines, I just click on over.

http://www.laineygossip.com/Index.aspx

Lisa@Take90West said...

Perez is my daily go to for gossip! And www.x17online.com It's fun and free, so it's okay in my book! Because I have nothing else to do during the day, really.

erin said...

Perez Hilton is pretty awful. I used to be addicted to his site too, but now I usually just read Pink is the New Blog instead. It has basically the same news as PH, but the tone is more snarky than straight up nasty so I don't feel as guilty reading about celebrities. Plus, unless there's major breaking "news," Trent only posts once a day - usually in the afternoon.

I'll admit to stopping by TMZ occasionally though. I'm so ashamed!

nejyerf said...

my friend and i were having the same discussion. but i'm growing weary of perez. he's getting TOO mean and bitchy.

he needs to have a bit more compassion.

i like the girls at gofugyourself for straight up fashion news.

MizMell said...

Haven't started any of the online stuff and really don't have the time, so I will abstain.
I do lurk around the magazine covers at the supermarket checkout, though.

Linda and her Surroundings said...

He is alarmingly mean and nasty - but, well, I may have read some of his stuff by accident. And it is possible I may have enjoyed it slightly. But that is not to say I actually approve....

CAL said...

I obviously need to get out more. My big thrill is still Craigslist. Sigh. Not even close, am I?