Sunday, October 21, 2007

And how did you spend your afternoon?

One of the things Pete and I like to do as parents is to not just take the girls to see the circus or a movie or some great show, but to surprise them with it.

Us, "Get in the car, we're going somewhere."

Them, "Where?!?"

Us, "It's a surprise. See if you can figure it out."

Last January, we actually planned a weekend in Orlando, FL and didn't tell the girls a word about it. We made the arrangements, packed the suitcases, and told the girls we were going to the airport, but not where. It was great.

This weekend, Disney on Ice came to town. This particular version is all about the Princesses. You know, Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, blah blah blah. When we first heard about it, Pete asked if we should get tickets and I said I didn't think so because the girls were really too old for it.

Somehow, we ended up with the tickets anyway.

In case you've never been to one of these things, let me lay out the scene for you: Hundreds upon hundreds of little girls (mostly ages 3-6), many wearing their most beautiful princess gowns. Far more mothers than fathers. Definitely not too many boys. It's definitely an Estrogen Fest.

The show itself was fine. If I blocked out the insipid narration and ignored the music that was clearly inspired by the oeuvre of Celine Dion, then the skating itself was interesting. Some of it was really good and some of it was downright sloppy, but that didn't make it any less entertaining. A skater dressed as the genie from "Aladdin" did a back flip and landed on the top of his head. Luckily, he was wearing a big foam mascot mask. I'm guessing he said some very un-Disney words in the privacy of his costume.

Maybe I should have flasked the show and had a drink every time a princess said something like, "Some day my dreams WILL come true" or " I know you. I walked with you once upon a dream." Everything would have looked like this:


Instead, it all looked much like this:


No, there was no real reason for Minnie and Mickey. Just some stupid thing that the Disney people add to every ice show. Emphasis on "stupid."

All that aside, the skaters were doing stuff that I could never ever do in my lifetime and I give them huge props for doing it.

And the ONLY reason I took any pictures at all was in case I could come up with a blog entry like this one.

7 comments:

Marijean said...

OMG -- you're so brave to do that with your kids -- and FUN. That would freak my kids out. Disney on Ice that is. No, I'm kidding, of course, the surprising them -- they do NOT dig surprises.

The Mickey & Minnie injection is a hoot.

Flutterby said...

I remember going to see Disney on Ice, It's a Small World when I was a kid. I am not sure I could stomach it anymore, lol.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Marijean: Luckily, our kids love surprises, especially if it involves tickets to an overpriced show or an airplane trip to some vacation destination. We've actually contemplated surprising them with a trip abroad too -- but mostly so that Grace wouldn't drive everyone apeshit talking about it for weeks in advance.

Linda and her Surroundings said...

Well, we all have to do these things and they shall become fond memories one day.

Happy Working Mom said...

This one came to us 2 years ago and my daughter loved it! She was only 2 and definitely one of those little girls dressed up in her gorgeous princess attire. She still talks about it to this day and we still have the program from it and she looks at it a lot and talks about the skaters.

Lisa@Take90West said...

I think Disney on Ice is really a type of requirement really. Everybody takes their own kids because it's what they did when they were a kid.
Just another way Disney is slowly taking over the world. ;)

CAL said...

Poor Aladdin's genie. Whiplash! Lawsuit! He would probably have loved to share your mythical flask . . . or maybe he already had, thus the failed Elvis Stojko move.

CAL