Tuesday, September 25, 2007

'Tis the season (not quite yet)

How many of you looked at the calendar this morning and thought, "Huh, three months until Christmas."???

I KNOW I'm not the only one out there, so 'fess up folks.

Now, here's a bonus question: How many of you have started shopping?

Yeah, that would be me, but I swear it was an accident. Usually by now I've put together a spreadsheet, but not necessarily actually gotten started.

A spreadsheet? Surely I jest.

No, I'm not kidding.

I know, I know, more confessions of a geek. But I SWEAR that the spreadsheet is necessary.

When you have:
four sets of parents (including the stepparents)
+ all those nephews and the one niece
+ the neighbors and friends that we do a little something for
+ the teachers and other Adults Who Give Lessons
+ SANTA still visits our house ....

All that equals an overwhelmed Jen.

So, I organize myself with a spreadsheet. Good thing, because one year I almost forgot to buy something for Pete's mother (it was an accident, I SWEAR) and another year I actually did forget to finish shopping for my father.

I stumbled across the perfect gifts for two nephews and my niece last month. I have plans for the other three nephews. I also have ideas for various other people. And I even found something for both of my girls.

Crazy, I know.

I expect some confessions from you, people!

11 comments:

Happy Working Mom said...

I honestly have to say that I will not think about Christmas shopping until the day after Thanksgiving. I love the craziness of finding gifts (we have a bunch of people to buy for as well) and shopping to Christmas music and cheer.

I know, I'm the Hallmark cliche, but I can't help it!

The Guider said...

Well, my daughter's getting a Wii, cos it's her birthday and Christmas present put together. Apart from that I have no idea. We have to buy for: 4 parents, 3 siblings, 2 kids, 4 preschool staff, 3 school staff. Plus a bunch of women who were all at the opening of the school in 2003 all go out for Christmas Meal and we all have to buy a £1 present for someone else going.

And, as you might expect from me, I am taking 6 Brownies away for the weekend two weeks before Christmas so that's that weekend ruled out!

Aims said...

Last year, I had all my shopping done for all my extended family and friends by October. I think I even had to re-wrap them in December as the paper was getting old. Spreadsheet geeks unite!

Lela said...

OMG a spreadsheet! What a great idea!! (I'm still using the handwritten list method) I am soo doing that this year. And my official first day of Christmas shopping is October 1st, lol.

Flutterby said...

Well I am not as organized as you are but I shop for Christmas all year long; usually starting the day after the current Christmas, lol. Most of the time I am done by now... but not this year. Still have a little bit to do.

Suzanne said...

OMFG, I'm lucky if I start shopping by December 1.

I rely heavily on online shopping, and most of my family & friends usually receive food gifts, of which a portion of the proceeds benefits the children's agency where I used to work.

They all can afford to buy whatever they want which always makes shopping a real bitch since I've never been in a position to afford anything they'd like which they haven't already got.

My nephews usually get gift certificates so they can pick out something they want, since my sister can't be bothered to suggest anything I might be able to afford for the boys.

And I ordered JR a book from Amazon last year.

Thank god for the internet. Shopping during the holidays is unbearable.

QueenMother said...

Good God woman-I still have Halloween decorating/shopping, a birthday party to plan, and Thanksgiving decorating before I can even consider Christmas.

Linda and her Surroundings said...

We have two Christmas's. One is the 24th which is a Danish Christmas and the other is the 25th which is the usual one. My son thinks that is fantastic. Although our family is now very small and we do not have to buy many gifts as such, I do spend a lot of time making cards or baking to give gifts to neighbours and friends. I love Christmas and all the sparkle that goes with it. I am easily able to ignore the commercial aspect to it.

Jojo said...

You're not the only one, Jen. I've started shopping and I do a spreadsheet too -- tho my extended family isn't as huge as yours. I'm a big fan of getting it out of my head and down on paper or computer so that I don't worry that I'm forgetting something. I read the book Getting Things Done a few years ago... I guess that's what prompted the write-it-down approach for me. I've also been itching to play Christmas music lately.

Josie said...

Uhh..no. Christmas never entered my head, until now. Thanks a lot Jen.
I'm a last minute kinda girl - I dread the shopping and its really not one of my favourite times of year.
You on the other hand sound way too organized...

kristi said...

Yeah, I started getting a few things here and there a couple of months ago.