Friday, September 21, 2007

Peace

I am so glad it's Friday.

Aren't we all? I know that every Friday I am truly grateful for two days without school and work, even if our weekends are often just as busy as the weekdays. This week, however, has felt a little harder than most weeks. Work had more going on. Homework was more onerous. The girls were a bit out of sorts. I was a bit out of sorts.

I am sitting here in my peaceful house and I am not working at the moment. I am instead doing something much, much, MUCH more important.

I am watching Melissa's baby Ava take a nap.

Ava, who is not quite three months old. Ava, who has long black eyelashes that most of us would kill for. Ava, who has a lavender bow in her hair. Ava, the precious daughter of my dear friend.

I am so lucky to be able to have this quiet time with her while Melissa is off doing things. I can enjoy this little baby in peace and quiet.

There will likely be no more babies in Jenworld, which should seem obvious since our girls are in second and third grade. But we have revisited the issue on occasion, including recently. Pete and I talked and talked and talked and talked and talked and talked and negotiated and talked and talked and talked and talked and talked and talked and talked and talked and talked...

And decided against it. We probably should have just had a third child years ago, but we didn't. We are already very lucky to have two such terrific girls. For a while, I felt some regrets, but now I'm at peace with it. This is my life, these are my children, and I feel very fortunate to have what I have.

So I'm enjoying little Ava this morning in my peaceful little Jenworld. She's just waking up and is smiling at her invisible friends. Soon, Melissa will come and take Ava home. Then it will be time for me to get busy with work. Graceful's birthday is tomorrow, which means presents, cake, and a sleepover -- plus all the usual activities we have on Saturdays.

I am so glad it's Friday.

3 comments:

Flutterby said...

I understand the wishing to have more but... I think we all know ourselves better than we think we do, and we tend to stop when we should. And when there are babies around to borrow, how great is that??!! They always go home so they are always perfect little sweethearts in your eyes. Ava gets to grow up with an Auntie who she will adore; who thinks she is just perfect; who never really has to be the bad guy and tell her no, lol. Everyone needs someone like that!

Josie said...

Sometimes I think watching others little ones reminds you to cherish the time with your own - as they grow so fast.
I have 2 godchildren - both under 2 and love to take care of them. But, after running around after a 16 month old for a couple days, I am thankful for the peace & quiet when he goes home to Mom.
Ava's lucky to have Auntie Jen.

MizMell said...

Ah, I remember those time. The business of two young girls and the packs of girls that always acompany two daughters. Hug them tight and hold on... for before you know it, they'll be too far away to hug at all.