Sunday, September 30, 2007

Like grandfather, like granddaughter

Pete's father is a dear sweet man. He's just so nice and so very kind and I adore him. Like most people, my FIL has some endearing quirks that are just part of his personality. For example, he cannot go anywhere, at almost any time of the year, without taking a sweater with him. Sometimes, he takes a sweater and a lightweight jacket. You just can't be too careful about getting chilly. And, if we are with him, he invariably asks if we need a sweater too.

The personality similarities between my father-in-law and my older daughter are quite pronounced. So much so, that others have commented on it.

On a related note, the temperatures here in Virginia are registering FALL. Highs in the 70s and lows in the 40s. Cooler than summer weather, but definitely not winter weather.

Graceful has already started wearing sweaters and fleeces most mornings. It was cool this morning as she was dressing and she asked if she should wear a turtleneck and maybe even some thick fleece pants. I advised against it, so she went with long pants and a long sleeved shirt. For some reason, she didn't put on a sweater, as is her usual habit.

The girls and I got in the car to go on our orchard outing and waited for Pete, who was still in the house, getting his shit together.

Thirty seconds later, I was walking through the kitchen door and headed for the bedrooms. Pete asked what I was doing.

"I'm getting a sweater for your father's granddaughter."

3 comments:

Kellan Rhodes said...

I liked this post - "your father's granddaughter" - cute! I'm a sweater-taker too. Gotten that way in the past couple of years. It's a contagious habit - I've got everyone around me grabbing for their sweaters (friends, sister, mother ...). I lived in Springfield, my brother just moved from Woodbridge, my dad just moved to Florida from Stafford. I love Virginia. I was born in West Virginia (so love it more), but you are lucky to live where it is so beautiful. I liked your blog and your cute story.

Linda and her Surroundings said...

I am a sweater taker and a coat taker (even in Summer). When I forget (rarely) I regret it. Both my husband and son now expect ME to make sure they have warm clothes "just in case". I am also a tissue, umbrella and snack taker. Always.

Josie said...

WB's a sweater taker - me, not so much, but that could be the hot flashes talking.
Love the "your father's granddaughter." Its funny what traits get passed along from generation to generation.