Hotfessional (don't you just love that blog name?!?) has tagged me for the 8 Random Things Meme. And for no reason at all, I've decided to make it eight random things about the two principal adults here in Jenworld.
And we're off:
1. Pete's father's family is of German ancestry (100% on Grandpa Augie's side) and our last name, while only one syllable, is nearly unpronounceable to some people. There's a famous German playwright of the same last name, but that's not our people.
2. Pete and I have a special whistle that we use when we're out in public and lose each other, or even when I'm wandering around our wee house trying to find him. The whistle comes from the James Bond movie "The Living Daylights." In the movie, Q gives Bond some sort of keychain with various functions and Bond has to whistle to make the keyring do each thing, such as beep or blow up. Bond uses the keychain thingy to great effect, including at the end when he whistles to find the girl. Yes, we're nerds like that.
3. The Police concert that we're going to in November is the first concert we'll ever have attended together. Really. About the closest we've come is Cirque du Soleil "Delirium." He's been to concerts and I've been to concerts, but not together. He saw the Stones with my stepmother. She was so tickled by their "date" and that he asked her, that he considered getting her a corsage, just for kicks. Instead, he got her a wonderfully tacky Rolling stones pin that lights up.
4. I cut his hair. High and tight, like in the military. I use electric clippers and just go at it until I see his scalp. I'd shave him bald, but we both agree that bald doesn't always look good on geeky white guys.
5. He's right handed and I'm left handed, so when we were first dating, he'd always walk on my right so that we could hold hands but still have our dominant hands free.
6. When we got engaged, Pete gave me a very nontraditional sapphire with little diamonds on either side. I almost never wear my engagement ring because I really don't like wearing rings anymore. Instead, I wear two simple bands: one plain and one with a few diamonds in a channel setting and I hardly notice them, they're so comfortable. Only when I'm dressing up do I pull out the flashier stuff.
7. He doesn't buy me flowers, but he does give wonderfully thoughtful gifts, such as seeking out my favorite British candy bar and buying me a large quantity. Or, picking up a CD he knows I wants. Or cooking a special meal for my birthday.
8. No matter where we are, we always sleep in the same spots in the bed. Our respective locations came from when we were in our first house and I was on the side closest the bedroom door. I wasn't sleeping well and was having nightmares and we finally realized that my closer proximity to the door and the resulting view down the stairs to the front door was making me feel unsafe. We swapped places and have never changed, regardless of where we've lived.
Okay, that's eight things. More like eight stories actually.
I'm tagging Aims, Linda, Lori, Melissa, Josie, Grace Ellen, Suzanne, and Marijean. Let me know if you're participating. And, I really look forward to reading what you come up with.