Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The walls could collapse and she wouldn't notice

When I talk about Elegant's ADHD, I usually focus on how hard it is to get her to focus in school or how we need to channel her energy. (And for the record, she only barely registers as hyperactive and most people don't notice it. It's her impulse control that is the larger issue and the reason for the "H" part of the diagnosis.)

What I haven't talked about here is how children with ADHD can also hyper-focus on something that interests them. In Elegant's case, she absolutely loves to read, so much so that she completely tunes out the world around her when she's immersed in a book. We have to actually tell Elegant things like, "Please close your book while you're walking."

Two examples in the past few days:

1. This weekend while we were with my family, we were getting ready to leave and Elegant was already deep into a book. My brother-in-law Andy -- the children's beloved Uncle Andy -- swooped in to hug Elegant. He wrapped his arms around her, picked her up, and was whispering all sorts of loving sentiments into her ear. Elegant had her arms wrapped around her uncle's neck...

... and was reading her book literally behind his back the entire time.

2. Last night, I went into Elegant's room to tuck her in. She was deeply immersed in Where the Sidewalk Ends -- a collection of poems by Shel Silverstein. I turned off the lights and turned on a dim nightlight. Then I walked around to El's bed to kiss her. She was puckered up, waiting for her kiss...

... while still reading in the dark.

Yes, we often have to go back upstairs to her room after we've tucked her and tell her to put her book away and go to sleep.

So I thought I'd share this today, just because I think it's so great when children love to read.

Have a good day.

5 comments:

Happy Working Mom said...

That is so great that she loves to read so much! I loved to read as a kid too...books couldn't be brought in fast enough! I still love to read but don't have time for it anymore. Maybe when the kids are older...

Josie said...

I love hearing about kids who love reading. I have instilled that in WB and its wonderful. opens up a whole other world for them.
And I use to try and read with a little flashlight after "lights out".

QueenMother said...

Your daughters could be mine. I used to stay up until two or three in the morning reading in ELEMENTARY SCHOOL!

Badness Jones said...

My mom used to have to institute 'NO READING days' to get my sister and I to go outside!

Family Adventure said...

I have that with Benjamin, only, and unfortunately, what he likes is playing electronic games. He gets absolutely obsessed with them. When he was diagnosed, I flat out rejected it, saying he can focus better than anyone, as long as he wants to. The psych was very quick to point out that this is normal for ADHD children, and that the problem is that he can't focus on something that doesn't interest him.

Intuitively, this still doesn't really make sense to me, but I don't believe my boy is trying to make trouble for himself. And now that I know it, I see it so clearly all the time. It's funny at times. Like what you were writing about here. :)