Thursday, August 16, 2007

They never covered this in Lamaze class

Graceful is almost nine, which means she's not that far off from being a teenager and going through puberty. We've been talking with her about the changes that her body will be going through in the next few years. We're going slowly, as she's clearly not at all enthusiastic about all this stuff. She knows that she'll eventually develop boobs and that she'll start shaving. But she doesn't know about menstruation, which we need to discuss with her at some point. We try to bring things up naturally, as things come up in conversation, and to keep things casual.

Graceful and I went to Target today. As we passed through the girls' department, I paused briefly at the rack with girls' underwear, undershirts, and those pre-bra thingies that girls wear before actually graduating to Victoria's Secret. I nodded toward them and said something like, "This is the sort of thing we'll be getting for you at some point."

Graceful, looking horrified, said, "How many years?"

I said, "Mmm, maybe as early as next year, possibly the year after. It's difficult to say. We'll go shopping together when you're ready."

Graceful did not look pleased with this information. She was pensive for the next few minutes, as we continued working our way through the store.

Then she said, "You know what I'm looking forward to about growing up, that does not involve nipples?"

I can tell the next few years are going to be oh so fun.

1 comment:

Linda and her Surroundings said...

When my son was six, he pointed out a picture of a girl in a bikini and said "whenever I look at her, my willie sticks up". All downhill from there.........