Friday, August 31, 2007

Like sands through the hour glass, so are the days of our lives

Last week I bought a two-minute hourglass for the girls to use when brushing their teeth. Mostly for Elegant, who has been known to spend exactly two seconds on the task and then declare herself done. Surprisingly, she's never had a cavity.

As I suspected, Elegant has been FASCINATED by this new tool. She holds the hourglass approximately six inches from her eyes in order not to miss a single dropping grain of sand. If we're lucky, she'll actually move her toothbrush around the inside of her mouth during this time.

Yesterday, Graceful came into the bathroom and started talking with Elegant, who was in the middle of brushing her teeth/watching time pass. Elegant very carefully turned the hourglass sideways to stop time, talked with Graceful for a moment, turned the hourglass back up to restart time, and then continued brushing her teeth / watching time pass.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Did you buy the timers at Teachers' Edition? Was I there? Did I see you?

Jennifer said...

Elizabeth, yes I got it there. I looked for you, but no one wears nametags and I didn't think either of the women there were you, but I could have been wrong. And I felt a little odd about asking each person, "Are you Elizabeth?" :-)

The Guider said...

Exactly what K would do - love it!

Elizabeth said...

Nametags would destroy our plausible deniability. But I'm the one with the shortest hair. Very, very short.

Josie said...

I need one of those...I get bored brushing my teeth and routinely walk around the house while doing it....yes I'm as bad a 5 yr old :)