Wednesday, August 22, 2007

School days, school days

[cue music]

It's the most wonderful time of the year
With the kids jingle belling

And everyone telling you, "Be of good cheer"

It's the most wonderful time of the year


It's the hap-happiest season of all

With those holiday greeting and gay happy meetings

When friends come to call

It's the hap-happiest season of all.


[Music fades...]

Children live for Christmas, Halloween, and Easter. Mothers, on the other hand, live for the first day of school. And THAT my friends was today.

You know I love my children, don't you? Really, I do. But as Kahlil Gibran said, "Let there be spaces in your togetherness." Which means that my children belong in school for seven hours every day, so that someone else gets to enjoy how very fabulous they are, while I savor the silence of my home.

Graceful and Elegant chose their first-day-school clothes with great care. Check it out:


Elegant's looking pretty colorful, don't you think? Take a look at the whole outfit:

(Sorry for the blurriness. The girl was a bit excited this morning.)

Pretty amazing, eh? You know you wish you could pull off an ensemble just like it. Which do you think is the best part? The floral velvet jacket, the Lily Pulitzer skort, or the polka dot mary jane sneakers?

At least Graceful matched. Of course, she's wearing a fleece and it's in the 70s outside. And, because she got her geek DNA from both Pete and me, she has her zipper all the way to her chin. What you can't see is that her crew socks are pulled all the way to her calves. She gets that from Pete, not me.

Of course, it doesn't really matter when she smiles:

4 comments:

Aims said...

That is so sweet! The girls are so different aren't they and you are a very cool Mum to let Elegant wear that brilliant outfit! I love it! Plus, I want those shoes. xx

Flutterby said...

They are adorable! I didn't realize how much I missed having the house to myself until Gadget started HAVING to be at the computer lab a few hours a day twice a week. And those two days just happen to fall on the same two days I do NOT have the hissy fit throwing grandchild here, so it's a double bonus. Not that I don't love them all but... the alone time keeps their heads safely attached to their bodies instead of me pinching them off at the neck. (I always figure I would hope to get a judge who was also a parent and thus stand a chance at the justifiable homicide defense)

Josie said...

Absolutely adorable!! And very cool of you to let them pick out their own outfits.
Unfortunately, school doesn't start till the 4th of September here....sigh

Michael said...

In Britain, the cool people zip their jackets all the way up.