Friday, August 03, 2007

My brain cannot even comprehend this

Yahoo News is reporting that a family in Arkansas just welcomed their 17th child.

The oldest is 19, the second youngest is nearly two, and there are two sets of twins. All 17 children have names that begin with J, just like their randy father. Apparently, the mother, the one who's pumping out the children, and whose name starts with M, doesn't get anyone with her initial. Hey J-Daddy, here's an idea for you: "jerk off" starts with J too. Why don't you try that for a change instead of impregnating your wife every single time you go near her?

I don't have a problem with large families. I can see the appeal. But 17??? Do the parents even have individual relationships with each of their children? Does anyone in that family get any sort of special one-on-one time with Mom and Dad?

The mother home schools the children. How does that work when the teacher/student ratio is so high? Who's watching the youngest children while the older ones are learning? Oh wait, never mind, I'm sure the older children have been gang pressed to baby sit, so that answers that question.

What are the odds that most of these children will grow up and have 0, 1, or 2 children tops?

7 comments:

Suzanne said...

And how, pray tell, are they funding all of this procreative activity? 19 mouths to feed, 19 backs to clothe and shelter... geez!!

I am beyond "with you" on this... the mind boggles and the body recoiles.

Julia said...

I dunno, I see having that many children as socially irresponsible. Crowded planet and all. So many unwanted children, orphans, foster kids, already.

We have the technology, people. Put a condom on.

Religion, I guess.

Julia said...

One more comment. WHY DOES BLOGGER insist we type out these ridiculous word verifications that are so LONG and COMPLICATED? I mean, they keep getting longer and longer and longer.

This one: tkddcgprst

Come on, Blogger. It's bordering on a deterrent for me now. So hard to read, so long, so complex.

Sorry. Just had to add that. Not your fault, of course!

kristi said...

Oh my GAWD. Well, my Mom has 6 living children. I was 1o when one of my brothers was born...15 when the other was born. I was pissed. I didn't want to take care of another baby. So I made it clear to her and she never asked me to do anything for the youngest. BUT that is why I have a small family, hubs wanted to stop at 1!

erin said...

Ahh yes, the Duggars. Michelle and Jim-Bob. They have a show on cable - TLC, maybe? Or Discovery Health - one of them. I've seen it a couple of times. It's... interesting. Each of the younger kids has an older sibling as their "buddy" to help them out with stuff and basically take care of them. They seem happy and support themselves & their family w/o help, so more power to them, but it certainly isn't the size family I'd want.

Personally, I'm waiting for one of the older kids to break free and have some "Amish in the City" style fun. You know at least one of those girls has got to be thinking something is a little weird about their mom popping out so many kids. Also, why do the boys get to wear (somewhat) normal clothes and the girls are all dressed/have hair like they're on Little House on the Prairie? I can't wait for them to rebel - now that will be a show worth watching!

Jennifer said...

Julia: I'm going to take off word verification for a while. As long as I don't get hit with spam, it should be fine.

MizMell said...

I can't imagine that many children or being pregnant that many times! But I do have to share--my mother was one of 19 children. (She's now 71.) I don't think they have birth control in that era...