Friday, August 31, 2007

I'm still a shoe whore*

[NOTE: Updated at 7 p.m. near the end.]

I have been wanting a pair of great black mary janes. Comfort is a MUST as I go about my errands, volunteer at the school, do my job, and leap tall buildings in a single bound.

I found these cute ones by Dansko on eBay -- they were used, but barely -- and got them for a really good price.

They were damn comfortable in the soles, but rubbed like hell where the strap was sewn at the instep side. AND they ran a little big, so I rubbed a nasty blister on one of my Achilles tendons. Not good people, not good at all.

So, after some deep and involved soul searching -- okay, I gave it a moment's thought -- I decided to re-list the shoes on eBay. My commentary was nowhere as good as this, but I tried to do a little better than the usual description. I even included a pinky swear that I had only worn the shoes a few times AND always, always, always with socks, so the shoes still smelled of new leather. The shoes sold yesterday and I shipped them out this morning.

And I guess I know now why the original owner of those shoes was selling them barely used...

I've looked at other Dansko mary janes, but after reading reviews, I'm concerned I'd have the same problems as with the first pair. But they're just so cute.

But I still want some mary janes!

Keen makes cute casual mary janes in various kinds of sneaker materials, but I really want some in just plain old leather, although I'm considering these too.

I found these at crocs.com.

I know, I know. Crocs. Reviled by many, loved by others, including yours truly.

(That said, I am just so OVER the basic Croc clogs, having worn several pairs over the past three years.)

I've ordered a pair and hope they'll arrive soon.

[Updated at 7 p.m. to add: They arrived this afternoon! I've worn them for a few hours and they're VERY comfortable!]

Yesterday, I saw some AMAZING leopard print mary jane pumps by Anyi Lu. I practically left nose prints on the outside of the store window as I gazed with wonder at these shoes. They would truly make my life complete ... if only they weren't $300+. They are the same style as these, but in a fab leopard print. I have scoured the internet and can't find the ones I saw in the store, so I might just have to cruise by the store and take a photo and possibly even try them on, just for fun.

In the meantime, I do have other fabulous footwear, including these, which always get comments when I wear them. I usually wear them when I volunteer at the school, as the kids just love 'em. And of course I do have the basic professional clogs in black and brown, so it's not like I'm going around barefoot people.

All the same, I might just give these a closer look......


* Original shoe whore post here.

5 comments:

blackbird said...

So MANY choices...
I have a comfy pair of Camper Mary Janes, but their fit is very tricky.

You are so good to have sold those Danskos, they'd sit and rot in my closet - which reminds me, I have a pair of Nike yoga shoes which are gorgeous and worn twice. What do you think I could get for them?

Josie said...

I am sooo against Crocs but the ones you linked to do look cute and not nearly as hideous as the standard.
I love the ones from Zappo (?). Love.
I hate buying shoes. I bought a really cute pair of casuals the other day and have blisters from wearing them, so can't for anothe cpl days. Uggh

Linda and her Surroundings said...

Fergie (from Black Eye Peas) has a new album (the name escapes me) and there is a song dedicated to her Mary Jayne shoes!!! Must be something about Mary's.

MizMell said...

I love the Dansko.. I have a pair in black. Way comfy.
I share the shoe fetish. But my weakness is clogs--mules, slides or whatever they call them nowadays. I've been wearing clogs since the 70s!

QueenMother said...

I love Mary Janes. I am getting these this fall, I believe. http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod40670094&parentId=cat5130731&masterId=cat000199&index=44&cmCat=cat000000cat000141cat000149cat000199cat5130731