Thursday, August 23, 2007

Dollhouse economics

A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned that the girls had been busy with their dollhouse and that they had even developed an entire dollhouse community. Hotel, bank, restaurant, store, etc. They thought about what they would need in order to live in this miniature world. They even covered their banking needs, with Elegant happily creating mini counterfeit dollars. And it's this last thing that is the crux of this story.

To create wee bucks, Elegant took a couple of sheets of 8.5 x 11 green paper and cut. And cut and cut and cut and cut and cut and cut and cut and cut and cut and cut and cut and cut and cut and cut and cut and cut and cut and cut and cut and cut and cut and cut and cut and cut and cut and cut and cut and cut and cut...

... until she had created hundreds of dollars in currency. Imagine paper almost the size of confetti and I think you have an idea where this is going.

The "bank vaults" were Tupperware containers, which each girl labeled with the dollhouse customers' names.

As the girls' dolls went about their daily errands, they actually paid money to store owners. I could hear them negotiating prices as they played.

At some point on Monday, there was a tornado or hurricane or bank robbery or something. I don't know EXACTLY what happened, but I do know that hundreds of dollars ended up all over Elegant's rug.

Remember that confetti description from a few paragraphs ago?

Elegant worked to pick up the mess, but it was just too much, so I got down on my hands and knees to help. I was tired and irritated, so I grumbled mightily about the mess. Elegant kept trying to explain how the money was necessary and I kept trying to explain how it was not.

Finally I asked, "But do the dolls have so much money? Do they really need so much?"

Elegant replied, "Well, they ARE rich, you know."

4 comments:

Matthew Rosenberg said...

That is one of the funniest things I have read in a long time.

Josie said...

I just snorted vodka out my nose but it ws ohhh so worth it :)
Your girls crack me up.

erin said...

Do these dollhouse people happen to have an unmarried son in the 28-36 age range?

Just kidding.

Jennifer said...

Hilarious. I love the concept of an entire dollhouse town, complete with bank "vaults". :-)