Friday, July 06, 2007

Friday randomness

A few bits and pieces as we head into the weekend:

It's July 6 and it's my understanding that this is the season known as summer. I believe this is a well known fact all over the U.S., particularly out west where it is hot, hot, hot. Even Satan is shunning the west in favor of the cool breezes of Hell.

Here in Virginia, it's warm too -- only in the 80s, but that still counts as warm. Yet, if we are officially in the midst of summer, why can I not find shorts for my six-year-old? The stores have nothing right now, except the dregs that no one wants to buy. (Hot pants for my daughter? Hell to the fucking no, I say.) The only reason I'm even looking for shorts for the child is that she's going to camp next two weeks and shorts are part of the recommended attire. Twirly skirts and princess gowns are not . For a child who wears dresses day in and day out, this means I am now tracking down something to keep her tushie covered. She has some shorts and loads of skorts, so I'm thinking skorts will just have to be part of the official camp uniform.

Moving on to other randomocity...

I haven't been sleeping well since we got back from Texas. You'd think that my happiness at being home would mean blissful slumber every night but, in spite of my exhaustion, I've been tossing and turning each night. The night before last was particularly bad and I only got four hours of sleep. Last night was better, but I kept waking up. It finally hit me some time around 5 a.m. that I haven't gotten enough exercise in the past ten days. I normally walk 2-3 miles almost every day and I didn't do that while we were away and hadn't gotten back to it since we've returned. So in spite of my tiredness and the lingering pain from a really bad calf cramp yesterday (what is up with that, I ask you), I hauled my lard ass out of bed this morning and did a three mile loop through the neighborhood. I wasn't as fast as usual, but I did it dammit. I'd have to say that Q was very helpful and that I've really put together a good mix of music for walking that motivates me to move faster.

Oh, and we're just about done with the pantry. Feast your eyes on this bastion of organization:


Martha Stewart, eat your heart out.

We have another rack thingy for the door, but haven't decided if we're going to use it or not. We also still need to finish the drywall on the outside, but the most important thing is that I can now organize the crap out of our food and actually know what we have. Not visible in this photo are the seven bags of tortilla chips I found when I was compiling our food from the various storage places, caches, and other nooks and crannies. Seven bags. No, we weren't planning to have a party any time soon but maybe we should.

Again, moving on...

I'm making progress on Elegant's desk and should have it finished by tomorrow. I'll post photos when I'm done, because it's going to be really cute. Tomorrow, I also start on Graceful's study nook, which we are creating from her bedroom closet.

Finally, a bit of humor that my mother sent me this week:

God was missing for six days. Eventually, Michael, the archangel, found him, resting on the seventh day.

He inquired, "Where have you been?"

God smiled deeply and proudly pointed downwards through the clouds, "Look, Michael. Look what I've made."

Archangel Michael looked puzzled, and said, "What is it?"

"It's a planet," replied God, "and I've put Life on it. I'm going to call it Earth and it's going to be a place to test Balance."

"Balance?" inquired Michael, "I'm still confused."

God explained, pointing to different parts of earth. "For example, northern Europe will be a place of great opportunity and wealth, while southern Europe is going to be poor. Over here I've placed a continent of white people, and over there is a continent of black people. Balance in all things."

God continued pointing to different countries. "This one will be extremely hot, while this one will be very cold and covered in ice."

The Archangel, impressed by God's work, then pointed to a land area and said, "What's that one?"

"That's Washington State, the most glorious place on earth. There are beautiful mountains, rivers and streams, lakes, forests, hills, and plains. The people from Washington State are going to be handsome, modest, intelligent, and humorous, and they are going to travel the world. They will be extremely sociable, hardworking, high achieving, and they will be known throughout the world as diplomats, carriers of peace, and producers of software."

Michael gasped in wonder and admiration, but then asked, "But what about balance, God? You said there would be balance."

God smiled, "There is another Washington. Wait till you see the idiots I put there."

4 comments:

Happy Working Mom said...

The pantry looks fantastic!!! I'm sure it feels great to finally have it done!!!

Josie said...

So, when your done with all your chores, your going to come to my house and organize my pantry right?

Loved the joke...very fitting these days.

Suzanne said...

As someone who grew up in Washington DC and now lives in WA State, I, of course, LOVED the joke. There's I reason why I ended up where I ended up... ;)

And am very envious of your pimped out pantry, as I, alas, only have old metal cabinets with nonadjustable shelves. So, I have to store my cereal boxes on top of the fridge.

MizMell said...

Love the joke!

Can't wait to see how the desk and the study nook turn out.