Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Why I need to take knitting lessons and learn to read a pattern

I just finished a blanket I've been knitting since January. Something to keep me warm in the winter and to look cool even when not in use. I wasn't working with a pattern, which should become painfully obvious in just a moment. I decided to just do stripes of different yarns I had left over from various other knitting projects. As those ran out, I bought some fun yarns to supplement.

Since I didn't have a pattern, I had to guess how many stitches I needed per row. I was using circular needles and THOUGHT I had a blanket that was about four feet wide. Then I knitted and knitted and knitted and knitted and knitted and ... well you get the idea...

... until I had about a three foot long blanket.

So, a 4' x 3' afghan. Or thereabouts.

The thing is, I have a hard time estimating sizes with circular needles and I couldn't really stretch the blanket out to see what I was dealing with.

As I was casting off last night, it seem as though there was a LOT of blanket, but I shrugged and went on with what I was doing.

When I finished, I reeled in the blanket from the floor next to me. And reeled in and reeled in and reeled in.

In reality, I have a blanket that is 10' x 3.5'.

[sound of me banging my head against the desk]

Here's a photo of my folly.


The blanket is folded in half. TWICE. Just so that I could take the photo.

I'm such a dumb ass.

But at least I'll be a warm dumb ass this winter when I'm reading a good book on the marshmallow sofa.

8 comments:

Happy Working Mom said...

I'm just like you, I often start things without careful planning :)

Jennifer said...

Oh, I planned, just not very well. :-)

Julia said...

That's ten feet more than I can sew!

Aims said...

It looks super cute and snuggly! I wouldn't mind it here today - the office is freezing and a big storm has just hit outside.

Suzanne said...

Like you said, perfect for lounging on the marshmallow!

Julia said...

Sorry, I meant that's ten feet more than I can KNIT. God, I am so un-domestic that I don't even know my terminology!

MizMell said...

So glad you finally commented... I have been watching my Sitemeter for sometime now trying to figure out how to contact my "local" reader.

Jennifer said...

MizMell, I'm not that local. :-) Aren't you down in the SW part of the state?

I'm from Roanoke originally but am now up in the central part, where the major university is located.