Wednesday, May 02, 2007

HB 2 me

Some of you may not know this, but today is the 38th annual National Jen Day!!!

(a.k.a. my birthday)

[much applause, cheering, and general rejoicing...]

Unlike most adults, I totally revel in my birthday and expect everyone in my household (aka Jenworld) to bow down to me and totally treat me like a queen on this day. This could be construed as narcissistic and selfish, but it's just one day dammit. The rest of the year I am a typical mother -- I give unto others over and over and tend to put myself way, way down on the list of priorities. So I really don't think it's asking too much for 24 hours of worshipping to the altar of Jen. I expect total adoration, love, affection, a great dinner, cake, and mucho gifts.

Just so we're clear here, I go nuts over other people's birthdays too. My girls always get elaborate parties at home and treats to share at school. I also insist that we treat Pete like a king on his birthday, even though he doesn't ask for, expect, or want much fuss. But, that's how we roll here in Jenworld: Birthdays are a big deal. You're getting celebrated whether you like it or not, so just sit back and enjoy.

As it happens, the other three residents of Jenworld have their birthdays within an 18 day period in September, along with loads of Pete's relatives, so my birthday kind of stands alone in the yearly calendar. As it should.

Anyway, as it is National Jen Day, I will not be working, cleaning, or cooking today. I do unfortunately have to make a trip to Sam's Club, which we all know I loathe, but I'll somehow manage to get through the trauma. There will likely be chocolate involved in the healing process. The first grade play is this morning, which is always enjoyable for parents. Pete and I are going to out to lunch and he'll be cooking dinner. Grace's Brownie troop has its final meeting this afternoon. So, a normal day, but not a totally normal day.

I'd like to send a shout out to my parents for birthing me. And to my stepfather and stepmother for their role in raising me too, because it took a team of parents to get me to adulthood.

I'd also like to thank all of Team Jen -- spouse, kidlets, family, friends, neighbors -- for putting up with me on a regular basis, because we all know what an insufferable know-it-all I am. (And if you don't know that about me, I'm not stretching the truth on this one.) It takes a village to raise a child and it takes the same village to support a mother.

So, now I'm off to walk the girls to school. After that, I'm going to spend some time doing something I like most: planting flowers and enjoying my gardens.

I hope your day is as good as mine.


2 comments:

Marijean said...

Happy Birthday! and I'm just like you with birthdays (and we're so close in age -- we should hang out!). I hope you have a glorious day.

Happy Working Mom said...

Happy Birthday! I view birthdays the exact same way! And I too return the treatment to all of my family members!