Sunday, April 29, 2007

My heart beats faster over black leather

There's a piece of furniture Pete and I have been wanting for months now -- looking at pictures of it online and in magazines and having lots of lust in our collective marital heart. Actually, Graceful and Elegant have been wanting it too, so I guess we've all had lust in our collective family heart.

Aw, how cute.

Anyway, we finally took the plunge and ordered it this week. Check it out:


Very cool.

It's called the Marshmallow sofa and it comes in a variety of colors, the most popular of which are black, red, and white. It was originally designed in the 1950s by George Nelson, who's well known for his mid-century design, and is still sold today. The one we got is new, because I'm not wild about sitting on someone else's used leather. I prefer black because it goes with everything and also because the red and white would show smudges and grime, which we have in abundance since children live in this house. So I figure we can have cool furniture that's also kid-friendly.

Yes, yes, I know that mid-century modern is not everyone's cup of tea, but I just love it. I'm all about those sleek lines and the cool aesthetic. I still totally appreciate a nice Empire style dresser or Colonial trestle table, but I prefer to live in a simple house with clean lines and not a lot of clutter. I also expect that my furniture will be comfortable in addition to looking good, so I'm not all about the look.

On a related note, I gave Pete one of these for Christmas:


It started out as a joke, but we really like it and it's actually comfortable, plus it adds zing to an otherwise neutral room.

That's a cup holder in the thumb, by the way.

Graceful and Elegant love the hand chair, as do their friends, who always want to sit in it. The girls also play with the chair, so I might come into the living room and find ponies all over "Hand Mountain."

I wonder what they'll do with the Marshmallow?


No comments: